Desk lights and magnifiers

SteveE

I'm thinking of investing in a quality work light to serve dual purpose identifying/prepping fossils and also in my woodworking adventures.

Do ya'll use combo light/magnifying lamps?    What works, what doesn't work?   What spectrum works best for you?    Any suggestions for best bang for the buck?

Thanks

I have one like this that works well. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a fiber optic ring light on my B&L Zoomscope. It is spectacular for that application. They are pricey, but I was lucky to find a used one in a package deal. For general lighting LED arrays seem to be popular, but I have no experience in a prep setting. I have a "lightbox" for photography passed to me by my photographer daughter. It employs duel Halogen lamps. This provides a bright, shadow-free light. However, they throw off so much heat I think they would be unsuitable for prepping.

Really the only practical advice I can offer is choose source(s) for multi-directional lighting to provide even illumination. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It also depends at what magnification you want to prepare fossils at. The higher the magnification, the brighter the light needs to be. I do most of my work under a stereoscope that has a built in LED ring light, but I also use a separate ring light lamp outside the blast box for additional brightness. 

If what you're doing requires less magnification than a microscope, but more mobility of the item, Tim's suggestion above works quite well. If you need to see very fine detail up close, there are a range of affordable and wearable magnifiers that jewelers use (some with tiny and directional LED lights), but you'll have virtually no effective working distance between the lens and the object. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I use the light recommend by Tim and it works quite well for macro prep work..  My steroscope is what I use for finer work..But like Kane said it all depends on the type of work you are planning to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sign me up for the WTSC..... (What Tim Said Club).    With so many endorsements, I too ordered that one and..... it's perfect!  Thanks all

9 hours ago, SteveE said:

Well, sign me up for the WTSC..... (What Tim Said Club).    With so many endorsements, I too ordered that one and..... it's perfect!  Thanks all

;) Glad I could help. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 4/9/2019 at 6:37 AM, Fossildude19 said:

I have one like this that works well. 

What is the working distance from the magnifying lens to the fossil?  At 5x magnification I imagine it is about 4 or 5 inches (=120 to 125 mm)?

10 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

What is the working distance from the magnifying lens to the fossil?  At 5x magnification I imagine it is about 4 or 5 inches (=120 to 125 mm)?

I have good eyes and am at the point where reading glasses are optional yet I reach for them more and more.   With the light 6" from my eyes, I can focus on work anywhere between 5-13" (a nice depth of field).  It's about the same with my arm fully extended and the lamp moved away accordingly.   Farther out, I can regain focus if I move within the focal depth , but it takes more effort.    I have yet to use it for more than 20 min at a time, so have no comments about fatigue

• I found this Informative 1