Squalicorax tooth ID (Monmouth, New Jersey)

frankh8147

I found this tiny Squalicorax tooth yesterday at Ramanessin Brook (Monmouth County, NJ Cretaceous). It's interesting to me because it appears to have a mesial heel (notch) that I've seen on other species of the shark but doesn't have a nutrient groove (which I believe disqualifies it from being Pseudocorax) so I'm trying to figure out what it is. 

Also, I don't believe Squalicorax bassanii is known from this location but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

-Frank

squali!.jpg

squali1.jpg

squali2.jpg

squali3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

The notch might be a deformity.

I'm thinking that too. The only thing that stopped me from calling it pathological and throwing it into the bin was the fact that the notch is in the same place as Pseudocorox and S. bassani.

I'm struggling on where to draw the line between different species and deformities. 

don't think I've seen bassani in the Navesink. Yangaensis though is found in the Woodbury. I agree with Al Dente.

squalWoodbury1.jpg

squalWoodbury2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I just noticed about what time period we where talking and in what time period I was thinking.
So it seems that my european knowledge does not cut it. Any good shark evolution articles/lectures for me to start learning about America ?
It's Always a good thing to increase your knowledge

Centrophorus-sp.jpg

Neat tooth. Pseudocorax would have a nutrient groove, a deeper mesial indentation, and a lot of the time a more angled distal notch. Squalicorax bassanii/yangaensis is only found in the older deposits, has complex serrations, and a deep mesial notch.

This tooth isn’t pathological, but is rather a variation of Squalicorax “kaupi”. 

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

41 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Neat tooth. Pseudocorax would have a nutrient groove, a deeper mesial indentation, and a lot of the time a more angled distal notch. Squalicorax bassanii/yangaensis is only found in the older deposits, has complex serrations, and a deep mesial notch.

This tooth isn’t pathological, but is rather a variation of Squalicorax “kaupi”. 

Hi Joseph, I just visited your website and found it very informative and a nice user-friendly web design. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

Hi Joseph, I just visited your website and found it very informative and a nice user-friendly web design. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

thanks a lot! It is a work in progress though; a lot of the descriptions aren’t written yet and some of the information has to be updated and improved/corrected.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

9 hours ago, xxxhalsteren said:

I just noticed about what time period we where talking and in what time period I was thinking.
So it seems that my european knowledge does not cut it. Any good shark evolution articles/lectures for me to start learning about America ?
It's Always a good thing to increase your knowledge

Centrophorus-sp.jpg

Wow, great tooth.  That must be a Centrophorus you were talking about in the Antwerp thread.

6 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I agree.

Thanks everyone! I will put this tooth somewhere good - out of the thousands of Squalicorax teeth I've found here, I've never seen that variation before.

Thanks again!