Florida Mammal Claw or Hoof Core Bone or Rock?

Bronzviking

Hello again, I found this unusual shaped piece on a beach on West Coast, Florida. It's hard to tell whether it's a suggestive rock or mineralized bone. It reminded me of a claw or hoof core. I attached 5 photo views. What do you think?

DSC08185.JPG

DSC08180.JPG

DSC08181.JPG

DSC08183.JPG

DSC08184.JPG

Definitely looks geologic rather than biologic.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Agree with geologic....

Does that last view show a tube/hole at its base? Or is that just staining that makes it look like an opening? 

Regards, Chris 

20 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Agree with geologic....

Does that last view show a tube/hole at its base? Or is that just staining that makes it look like an opening? 

Regards, Chris 

Chris, It's a small indent, no hole or tube visible. What's odd about this rock is it has tiny holes or pores when I look under the eye loop. Also two of the edges are a lighter color. Possibly just worn? It's not typical of the agate rock I usually find here. Thanks for looking.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Because it is not an agate.

I know it's not agate and I'm not convinced it's limestone either.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:56 PM, Bronzviking said:

Chris, It's a small indent, no hole or tube visible. What's odd about this rock is it has tiny holes or pores when I look under the eye loop. Also two of the edges are a lighter color. Possibly just worn? It's not typical of the agate rock I usually find here. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the reply. not sure what the pores are unless traces of sponge boring activity or maybe its just weathering or maybe something else is going on. It is also interesting that its got that edge with the lighter color..suggesting possibly a different composition and maybe the inside is made up of something different? Do you see any sand grained sized particles in that edge? Are there tiny holes there as well? Looks like it has lighter colored scratches/discolaration on the surface in places suggesting its not very hard. I guess if you dont want to save it and you are going to chuck it you could perform some destructive tests and scratch the outside/coating and interior to determine relative hardness and drop some vinegar/dilute HCL on it to see if it fizzes/dissolves to verify if its limey. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/10/2019 at 3:56 PM, Bronzviking said:

It's not typical of the agate rock I usually find here.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:49 PM, Bronzviking said:

I know it's not agate

Sorry, I I thought You meant that You thought it was an atypical piece of agate from the first statement.

It is difficult to make an id of stone from a picture without some test results. Does it fizz? How hard is it? Does it leave a streak? What is the specific gravity?

To My eye it looks like an impure limestone, but could be a coarse sandstone or siltstone and could have a high silica content.. There are a lot of igneous and metamorphic rock that also look like this, but are unlikely to be found in Florida.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

57 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks for the reply. not sure what the pores are unless traces of sponge boring activity or maybe its just weathering or maybe something else is going on. It is also interesting that its got that edge with the lighter color..suggesting possibly a different composition and maybe the inside is made up of something different? Do you see any sand grained sized particles in that edge? Are there tiny holes there as well? Looks like it has lighter colored scratches/discolaration on the surface in places suggesting its not very hard. I guess if you dont want to save it and you are going to chuck it you could perform some destructive tests and scratch the outside/coating and interior to determine relative hardness and drop some vinegar/dilute HCL on it to see if it fizzes/dissolves to verify if its limey. 

Regards, Chris 

The edge has pores as well. I put it in vinegar and the light edge started fizzing and the black is coming off as dark sediment. I guess that suggests it is limestone? I can rule out bone but it is a interesting shape for sure. Thanks for your help.

30 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sorry, I I thought You meant that You thought it was an atypical piece of agate from the first statement.

It is difficult to make an id of stone from a picture without some test results. Does it fizz? How hard is it? Does it leave a streak? What is the specific gravity?

To My eye it looks like an impure limestone, but could be a coarse sandstone or siltstone and could have a high silica content.. There are a lot of igneous and metamorphic rock that also look like this, but are unlikely to be found in Florida.

I put it in vinegar and it fizzes, so I think your correct with impure limestone. Thanks for your help.

23 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

The edge has pores as well. I put it in vinegar and the light edge started fizzing and the black is coming off as dark sediment. I guess that suggests it is limestone? I can rule out bone but it is a interesting shape for sure. Thanks for your help.

Glad we were able to get a couple things figured out but sometimes a more detailed analysis underscope/in hand/lab is needed. Keep picking things up as you just never know whats next. 

Regards, Chris