Hi im new to this forum, and the buying of fossils. I've dona a bit of research in fossil to see if there real or not etc. I needed help in identifying if this spinosaurus tooth is real or not. apologies if the pictures aren't the best I've used snipping tool to grab them off of online. The length of one tooth is 2.5"and claim they are from morocco kem kem. Your help is greatly appreciated, thankyou:)

Captugre.JPG    Captuhhhhhhre.JPG.ea4b626cdc8c2b3d42dc45dc81d5ffa4.JPG

16 minutes ago, sanit said:

Hi im new to this forum, and the buying of fossils. I've dona a bit of research in fossil to see if there real or not etc. I needed help in identifying if this spinosaurus tooth is real or not. apologies if the pictures aren't the best I've used snipping tool to grab them off of online. The length of one tooth is 2.5"and claim they are from morocco kem kem. Your help is greatly appreciated, thankyou:)

Reminder:

Please do not post any advertisements. Ad copy and website information are not allowed, only pictures. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. :) 

Please familiarize yourself with the rules of posting in this forum. 
Thank you. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It's my real Spinosaurid tooth. Spinosaurid teeth from the Kem Kem Beds can not be distinguished between each other. It's either Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis or Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Cenomanian in age. Some might be glued or composited but the pictures are too small on my Phone to tell.

• I found this Informative 1

52 minutes ago, Haravex said:

They are real but to what percentage is questionable without better photographs.

7 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

It's my real Spinosaurid tooth. Spinosaurid teeth from the Kem Kem Beds can not be distinguished between each other. It's either Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis or Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Cenomanian in age. Some might be glued or composited but the pictures are too small on my Phone to tell.

apologies just found it in better quality

dddddddddddd.jpg

rrrrrrrrr.jpg

You really need to see the other side of this tooth.

The left side looks like moroccan fill.

The tip might be a composite but something is going on.

My gut says pass on this one

dddddddddddd.thumb.jpg.3c0dac0a3e7c2fa5c36a12b53b243f2b_20190410155647265.jpg.e2cdffb29f9d11640742ba38d4fd2a6d.jpg

Agreed with @Troodon

If a tooth has Matrix on it, this is a indication something is not good. There is no need to leave Matrix on a tooth. Only if you want to cover cracks, fillings and something like that.

The tip looks like a composite to me.

There are a lot Spino teeth out there. I as well would pass on this one.

I also recommend you to check out this topic:

I restored a fabricated Carcharodontosaurid tooth from Morocco. You can see very good how much glue and other junk is attached to it.

I'm really worried that your Spino tooth will look similar once you put it in Acetone.

• I found this Informative 2

OK so first up the pictures of spino teeth you have shown come from the Ifezouane formation and more than likely erfoud or aoufous not taouz, begga or ouzina, this location is not the only place where these fossil can come from but are more readily available and each other location is not practical or possible to mine the opposite formation.

Now moving on to the Spinosaurini tooth you posted (note this category includes Sigilmassasaurus and Spinosaurus couldn't find a date for this new re-categorization but its really recent like 2018-2019) in red I have highlighted chips in the enamel which indicate a possible repair in blue I have highlighted issues I can't resolve just by a single photograph alone, and for the rest circled and highlighted in black is natural matrix. 

And for those asking how i know this I can get into in-depth detail and will do if I'm asked at the point I would say trust me on this one, but again can provide evidence based on my experience in handling kem kem material and prepping 95 percent of any fossil material I personally obtain from Morocco.

spinotooth.png

• I found this Informative 3

Finally it is glued, composited and filled up. Not that one you would like to have in your collection imo.

I would not buy it too - i would wait for better ones (but maybe a little bit more expensive, too :D

Some others looks less "manufactured" imo, but not to say just from these photos.

@Haravex I'm a novice when it comes to fossils. So you're saying its real but with many issue which has been repaired. Also i did a bit of research on the matrix as I wasn't sure what it was, and i got a rough understanding of what it was, which is loose rocks or sediment that's just glued on to hide damage lets say, is this correct? 

Personally I don't see any obvious repair or compositing on these. The look real to me.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

hi everyone, im leaving this tooth out of the equation now

heres a link to another one i found, your help is very valuable to me thankyou