Florida Phalange Bone and Turtle or Sea Bird Bone?

Bronzviking

Good evening, I found 2 small bones on the beach in Tampa, Florida. The first one looks like a toe or finger bone of what animal? (6 views) The second looks like a turtle or sea bird bone? (3 views) Ruler is in inches. Thanks Fossil Friends!

DSC081921.jpg

DSC081861.jpg

DSC081871.jpg

DSC081881.jpg

DSC081901.jpg

DSC081911.jpg

DSC081961.jpg

DSC081931.jpg

DSC081941.jpg

Hi There,

I'm not big on mammal bones .. these look modern.  Do they feel modern to you in weight ? Previously we've had folks on the forum describe using pigs feet in crab traps.  I wonder if it could be a worn and bleached toe bone from a domesticated pig.  Just a cursory search pops up stone crabs and pigs feet used as bait.  Sounds like you can crab for them in Tampa as well ...

Maybe ?

Not sure on the second one.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

I’d also say they are modern bones, not sure from what though. Where in Tampa did you find them? I tend find lots of modern bones on any stretches of shoreline near piers and popular fishing spots in Tampa.

20 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There,

I'm not big on mammal bones .. these look modern.  Do they feel modern to you in weight ? Previously we've had folks on the forum describe using pigs feet in crab traps.  I wonder if it could be a worn and bleached toe bone from a domesticated pig.  Just a cursory search pops up stone crabs and pigs feet used as bait.  Sounds like you can crab for them in Tampa as well ...

Maybe ?

Not sure on the second one.

Cheers,

Brett

Yes the bones are light and probably modern but I was curious to find out about them. The island was formerly called hog island where there were hundreds of wild hogs in the 1800's. It could be a hog toe or like you said pig feet crab bait. I have seen fisherman pull in traps close to the beach. I just googled that and they say "pigs are giving up their feet for claws". So that's a good possibility I didn't think of, thanks.

20 hours ago, marfijak said:

Where in Tampa did you find them? I tend find lots of modern bones on any stretches of shoreline near piers and popular fishing spots in Tampa.

Honeymoon Island, formerly hog island.

2 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Honeymoon Island, formerly hog island.

You might search the net for hog or pig bones to recognize shapes and approximate size.

Hogfootbones.JPG.0a7b454f722261930a6fa31c767823e2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"