Patrik.S.Olsson

Dakotaraptor tooth

Patrik.S.Olsson

Hi all!
I stumbled upon a tooth thats for sale and labeled as dakotaraptor , what do you guys think?
I know to little about raptor teeth to be able to make that call myself.

Thanks!
Patrik

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

gigantoraptor

I assume this tooth is from the Hell Creek Formation?

It's not possible to tell Nanotyrannus and Dakotaraptor teeth apart by just pictures. We need a density count on both sides and we need to know both lenght and width of the base so we can see how compressed it is. Dakotaraptor teeth are rare.

Patrik.S.Olsson

Okey I see! Yes sorry forgot to mention that its from hell creek

fossilsonwheels

I am pretty sure I have seen this tooth posted on the forum before. If it is the one I am thinking of, there are no serrations on one side of it which would make verification on the ID impossible. I could be wrong but it looks like that tooth.

gigantoraptor
21 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I am pretty sure I have seen this tooth posted on the forum before. If it is the one I am thinking of, there are no serrations on one side of it which would make verification on the ID impossible. I could be wrong but it looks like that tooth.

Looked it up, you are right.

Troodon

One characteristic that  can quickly determine if NOT a Dakotaraptor tooth is the shape of the mesial carina.  Dakotaraptor crowns have a straight carina that extends ends 1/3 from the base.   This tooth has a mesial carina with a slight lingual twist, visible on the other post, that is typical of SOME Nanotyrannus teeth depending on jaw position.   So it tells us its not Dakotaraptor