Dakotaraptor tooth

Patrik.S.Olsson

Hi all!
I stumbled upon a tooth thats for sale and labeled as dakotaraptor , what do you guys think?
I know to little about raptor teeth to be able to make that call myself.

Thanks!
Patrik

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I assume this tooth is from the Hell Creek Formation?

It's not possible to tell Nanotyrannus and Dakotaraptor teeth apart by just pictures. We need a density count on both sides and we need to know both lenght and width of the base so we can see how compressed it is. Dakotaraptor teeth are rare.

• I found this Informative 1

I am pretty sure I have seen this tooth posted on the forum before. If it is the one I am thinking of, there are no serrations on one side of it which would make verification on the ID impossible. I could be wrong but it looks like that tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

21 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I am pretty sure I have seen this tooth posted on the forum before. If it is the one I am thinking of, there are no serrations on one side of it which would make verification on the ID impossible. I could be wrong but it looks like that tooth.

Looked it up, you are right.

One characteristic that  can quickly determine if NOT a Dakotaraptor tooth is the shape of the mesial carina.  Dakotaraptor crowns have a straight carina that extends ends 1/3 from the base.   This tooth has a mesial carina with a slight lingual twist, visible on the other post, that is typical of SOME Nanotyrannus teeth depending on jaw position.   So it tells us its not Dakotaraptor 

• I found this Informative 3