Interesting fossil/rock

Boss Hog

Hi folks.   Found a rock in our pasture, and am wondering about the imprint on the side.   A search turned up this forum, and I thought it might interest some of you.

I attached 3 pictures.   After reading your guidelines I see that it suggests pics from 6 different angles, measurements, etc.  At this point I don't have those.  If you want them I'll get them over the next few days.

The first pic shows my Wife holding the rock.  I figured that gives a reasonable sense of scale.  The following 2 pictures are of course closer views.  

The rock was found on a steep hillside in a pasture in Illinois.  About 70 miles NE of St. Louis.  I assume it was uncovered by erosion.  Our soil is not rocky, but rocks of various types turn up from time to time.

The boss (my Wife) said it looks like teeth marks.  I think it's a tire mark from Fred Flintstone's car.

I hope you guys have a sense of humor.  And that you can shed some light on just what exactly this is.

Rock 1.jpg

Rock 2.jpg

Rock 3.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like a crinoid stem. Fred Flintstones car, if I remember correctly has larger treads than that.

• I found this Informative 1

I sold my sense of humour to help finance my collecting.

So, no I don't have one. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

And +1 for crinoid stem section. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I sold my sense of humour to help finance my collecting.

So that's why you have such a small collection! :P

50p doesn't go very far when purchasing fossils.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I have to admit, I was hoping that you'd tell me it was an extremely rare fossil and worth thousands of dollars.  :zzzzscratchchin:

But I do appreciate knowing just exactly what it is.