University of Michigan Natural History Museum

connorp

This Sunday (4/14) is the opening day of the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor Natural History Museum. I'll be going at 8:45 AM which is when the ribbon will be cut. It looks like it's going to have some great exhibits. Hope some of you can make it, but if not, I'll make sure to post some pictures.

• I found this Informative 3

I look forward to seeing what changes they have made. I went to a wedding at the museum there about 15 years ago and remember thinking it was a pretty decent little collection at the time. 

Opening day was quite packed! Felt a bit like the Field Museum. There were a few exhibits but all that was of much interest was the fossil exhibit of course. We'll start off with my favorite fossil, Charnia masoni from the Ediacaran of England. I've seen plenty of casts, but this was the first actual specimen I've seen! Pretty cool.

IMG_5567.thumb.jpg.be9c867a49d7248887434c4f8aebe4ba.jpg

Next is the famous Grypania spiralis from the Paleoproterozoic of northern Michigan. A bit hard to make out the fossils from the glare unfortunately.

IMG_5568.thumb.JPG.df1f9a6dbcf460e96ab20b75b36e2c5d.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Next was quite a surprise – a whole section dedicated to Archaeocyaths! These guys are very interesting, and I don't think I have ever seen them in a museum display before. The fossils weren't spectacular, but I was too happy to see them to care.

IMG_5569.thumb.JPG.db4e14bcf486b5524413d4906b906c66.JPG

Right next to the display were a bunch of nice Ordovician trilobites.

IMG_5570.thumb.JPG.92e59e7ff1fa439ec9ca21d7f674d191.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Now on to the dinosaurs. Here is a replica of a mostly complete Coelophysis bauri from Texas. Very cool to have it mounted in the open.

IMG_5580.thumb.JPG.6fa01bff58056712985bcd5ae4c4e0d1.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

A cool Rhamphorhynchus display.

5cb34b48435b3_IMG_55812.thumb.jpg.4533c489f18e42207aec7a6af0369d6c.jpg

The skull of Tupuxuara. I was surprised by how large it was.

IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.f4e8732d37f72918b4b494a7d79d7437.JPG

Mounted right next to the plesiosaur is a Cimolichthys fish and Hesperornis bird fossil. This created a nice Cretaceous sea display, which hung over the coffee shop so you could see multiple angles of it. Pretty cool.

5cb34c82b9186_IMG_55863.thumb.jpg.ecfdee5709a10e014fe2c26f3c48133a.jpg

A lifesize Majungasaurus cast. This was supposed to be the highlight of the wing I believe. It was cool to have it standing so high.

IMG_5591.thumb.JPG.2f7fdb5bcaf90b853bf5cef00bb03862.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

I do feel obligated to share the only really bad thing – this toolmarked leaf. No idea who let that be displayed.

IMG_5583.thumb.JPG.ca82adf6e6b15f9ad4f9b266bc967c06.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Here is one of my favorite things – a lifesize reconstruction of Quetzalcoatlus flying overhead. There is actually an exact copy at the Field Museum in Chicago. It looks much smaller there as its side-by-side with a large sauropod.

IMG_5595.thumb.JPG.2ba4e78ce09bd9ba63cd3eb5c4fdd1cf.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

And to finish it off, a male and female mastodon together. I believe the female is real and the male is a cast. Apparently one of them shows evidence of post mortem butchering by humans.

IMG_5597.thumb.JPG.b0877e873c5039d3b6940cacd19bee71.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Overall a very nice remodel! Much nicer than the old museum in my opinion. There is certainly much more to see, so I recommend everyone to check it out if they have a chance!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for the comprehensive tour! I love the small Archaeocyathan display.:wub:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• 3 months later...

I missed your pictures somehow, thank you for the report! It looks much nicer than before, very modern and informative- and it seems a lot bigger too. 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:42 PM, Peat Burns said:

Did they have any real-bone dinosaur skeletons on display?

I wasn’t too focused on those, but if I remember correctly there were no real complete dinosaur skeletons. There was a large sauropod femur, an ankylosaur club, and maybe a ceratopsian skull.

3 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

I missed your pictures somehow, thank you for the report! It looks much nicer than before, very modern and informative- and it seems a lot bigger too. 

I only went once before the remodel so I can’t say I remember much. All my friends complain that it’s much smaller now though. I think it will feel bigger when they open up a few more exhibits in November. As of right now, it’s just this main wing plus a small mineral gallery.

• 1 month later...