Two Odd Carboniferous Specimens

RomanK

RomanK..... Looks like a section of a Lepidostrobus cone.... Nice find...Heres my best one from crockhey opencast....yours has seperated without exposing the 'stem' of the cone that has appeard on mine....

post-1630-12549375660489_thumb.jpg post-1630-1254937537992_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

RomanK..... Looks like a section of a Lepidostrobus cone.... Nice find...Heres my best one from crockhey opencast....yours has seperated without exposing the 'stem' of the cone that has appeard on mine....

Thank you Steve, it looks like - yes, that is a lepidostrobus fragment.

Beautiful find again Roman. Shame it broke.I would think a seed cone like that would be quite rare.

Nice find, Roman! One day I will find a Lepidostrobus for myself, just need to find the right layers. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I agree with Lepidostrobus cone, or if not Lepidostrobus some other cone.

Hi Nicholas, usually I found pyrite in animal fossils, that's why I thought that specimen isn't plant.

Has somebody any ideas for second specimen???

Hi Steve. If it's a lepidostrobus cone, do you know what are those small spheres on the fossil?

post-814-12550250882994_thumb.jpg

Hi Nicholas, usually I found pyrite in animal fossils, that's why I thought that specimen isn't plant.

Has somebody any ideas for second specimen???

Can you post a clearer pic? It looks like another cone to me. :blink:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Romank.... I think your seeds are much more deleloped than mine.... Maybe I should rephrase that.... Id double check with bruno ;) , but I can see that 'texture', to a lesser extent on my specimen....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Archived