AJ58

I found these fossils in creek gravel Northeast Arkansas Lower Ordovician.Someone please tell me if they are a sponge or coral.And the name of species .

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

I think what you have are bryozoans that grew on top of other things. In one case they grew on surface of a coral. Nice.

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The first photo with the stars looks like weathered tabulate coral surfaces - many similar looking ones possible in the Ordovician but something like Heliolites. I think your specimens are the whole coral colonies i.e. single species.

Tarquin

34 minutes ago, TqB said:

The first photo with the stars looks like weathered tabulate coral surfaces - many similar looking ones possible in the Ordovician but something like Heliolites. I think your specimens are the whole coral colonies i.e. single species.

The geometry seems to suggest that the growth was from a center above these shapes.

How does that work ? :headscratch:

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The geometry seems to suggest that the growth was from a center above these shapes.

How does that work ? :headscratch:

I'm seeing them as inverted cones, with the top colony surfaces flattish or concave. 

Tarquin

20 minutes ago, TqB said:

I'm seeing them as inverted cones, with the top colony surfaces flattish or concave. 

I do agree that the fossils I have are cone shaped whole coral single species.I will keep looking for the name of that species.THANKS for the help.

5 minutes ago, Peto Lithos said:

There is a bryzoan here which looks similar to yours.

Do you know the name of the bryzoan species that looks similar to mine?Thanks.

1 hour ago, AJ58 said:

Are Brayzons a type of coral or sponge or a different species?

It's Bryozoans - a whole separate phylum, completely different from sponges and corals.

Tarquin

6 hours ago, TqB said:

So the coralites bud laterally in a cozey little cup of coenosteum. Pretending to be horn corals. :ninja:

I'm used to finding more ball shaped colonies that are hard to tell just which way they were headed.