Possibly a spiny sea urchin? crab parts? lobster parts?

nivek1969

This is another piece discovered at an estate sale, which of course means I do not have the info such as location it was found, etc. It has some amazing detail, spiny legs? but it's so squished into the matrix I have no idea what it could be. Hope to receive more info. The piece is approx. 6 x 4"

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Urchin spines and plates. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Resembles Archaeocidaris brownwoodensis from the Lake Brownwood Spillway. Or at least similar preservation. Nice piece!

• I found this Informative 4

Looks like the classic Pennsylvanian echinoid Archaeocidaris. Flattened specimens like that are collected around Brownwood.  But without any real info that's just a SWAG.

Ah! Heteromorph had this down and out while I answered a phone call...

• I found this Informative 3

I used to see big plates of this stuff years ago.  Really impressive stuff!  It had to be stabilized but was really some nice fossil slabs with multible specimens.  Only wish I would have purchaced a slab or two.   Yours is a small piece but still purty cool. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

Echinoid spines and test fragments.

Thanks! Echinoids are such beautiful specimens. The geometry is simply stunning in nicer pieces. Mother nature has always been the best artist!

6 hours ago, erose said:

Looks like the classic Pennsylvanian echinoid Archaeocidaris. Flattened specimens like that are collected around Brownwood.  But without any real info that's just a SWAG.

Ah! Heteromorph had this down and out while I answered a phone call...

Wish I had more info on where this was found. Many of the fossils at the estate sale were just piled up in boxes. There were some printed cards for some and written little notes but it was all a jumbled mess, and sadly the collector has passed away, hence the estate sale. I love to find minerals and fossils at estate sales but around 75% of the time there is no included documentation. :/ This was in Texas BTW, but the man lived in Cuba and Brazil for awhile. 

11 hours ago, nivek1969 said:

Thanks! Echinoids are such beautiful specimens. The geometry is simply stunning in nicer pieces. Mother nature has always been the best artist!

You are welcome.  Echinodermata are one of my favourite Phylum.

The lack of documentation is a real problem in some geological collections. This kind of collections aren´t ours, we just keep that specimens for a while. So, we must try have our collection well documented with specimens and all ancient labels, and  own label, closed in plastic boxes (it's more difficul to mess the specimens and labels) and cataloged (with digital pictures is a good and easy way). We must do that regularly, avoid have a large number of specimens without data. In my opinion we must educate our family or closest friends to know a little about our collection. In that way if it has scientific or museum value they could give it to an institution. If it is an ordinary collection an Highschool, a local fossil or mineral club will be a good option.  We never know when we leave this world. 

I was seeing some information about your specimen, after the expert ID from Heteromorph and Erose. I think it is a very nice specimen and if it were mine I will be proud of it.

Best regards,

Ricardo

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, ricardo said:

You are welcome.  Echinodermata are one of my favourite Phylum.

The lack of documentation is a real problem in some geological collections. This kind of collections aren´t ours, we just keep that specimens for a while. So, we must try have our collection well documented with specimens and all ancient labels, and  own label, closed in plastic boxes (it's more difficul to mess the specimens and labels) and cataloged (with digital pictures is a good and easy way). We must do that regularly, avoid have a large number of specimens without data. In my opinion we must educate our family or closest friends to know a little about our collection. In that way if it has scientific or museum value they could give it to an institution. If it is an ordinary collection an Highschool, a local fossil or mineral club will be a good option.  We never know when we leave this world. 

I was seeing some information about your specimen, after the expert ID from Heteromorph and Erose. I think it is a very nice specimen and if it were mine I will be proud of it.

Best regards,

Ricardo

Yes, the lack of info is unfortunate. But it is a beautiful specimen that I could not pass up. Thanks everybody!
-KP

• 3 months later...

Wow, an urchin with its spines on it, this means it died suddenly : when they die they loose their spines. In most of the cases, you find fossils of urchins without their spines.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Great specimen!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!