Jump to content
nivek1969

Possibly a spiny sea urchin? crab parts? lobster parts?

Recommended Posts

nivek1969

This is another piece discovered at an estate sale, which of course means I do not have the info such as location it was found, etc. It has some amazing detail, spiny legs? but it's so squished into the matrix I have no idea what it could be. Hope to receive more info. The piece is approx. 6 x 4"
 

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Urchin spines and plates. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ricardo

Echinoid spines and test fragments.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Misha

Agree with others, it looks like a sea urchin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Very nice indeed.:)

A cidarid, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erose

Looks like the classic Pennsylvanian echinoid Archaeocidaris. Flattened specimens like that are collected around Brownwood.  But without any real info that's just a SWAG.

 

Ah! Heteromorph had this down and out while I answered a phone call...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJB

  I used to see big plates of this stuff years ago.  Really impressive stuff!  It had to be stabilized but was really some nice fossil slabs with multible specimens.  Only wish I would have purchaced a slab or two.   Yours is a small piece but still purty cool. 

 

RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nivek1969
7 hours ago, ricardo said:

Echinoid spines and test fragments.

 

Thanks! Echinoids are such beautiful specimens. The geometry is simply stunning in nicer pieces. Mother nature has always been the best artist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nivek1969
6 hours ago, erose said:

Looks like the classic Pennsylvanian echinoid Archaeocidaris. Flattened specimens like that are collected around Brownwood.  But without any real info that's just a SWAG.

 

Ah! Heteromorph had this down and out while I answered a phone call...

 

Wish I had more info on where this was found. Many of the fossils at the estate sale were just piled up in boxes. There were some printed cards for some and written little notes but it was all a jumbled mess, and sadly the collector has passed away, hence the estate sale. I love to find minerals and fossils at estate sales but around 75% of the time there is no included documentation. :/ This was in Texas BTW, but the man lived in Cuba and Brazil for awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ricardo
11 hours ago, nivek1969 said:

Thanks! Echinoids are such beautiful specimens. The geometry is simply stunning in nicer pieces. Mother nature has always been the best artist!

You are welcome.  Echinodermata are one of my favourite Phylum.

 

The lack of documentation is a real problem in some geological collections. This kind of collections aren´t ours, we just keep that specimens for a while. So, we must try have our collection well documented with specimens and all ancient labels, and  own label, closed in plastic boxes (it's more difficul to mess the specimens and labels) and cataloged (with digital pictures is a good and easy way). We must do that regularly, avoid have a large number of specimens without data. In my opinion we must educate our family or closest friends to know a little about our collection. In that way if it has scientific or museum value they could give it to an institution. If it is an ordinary collection an Highschool, a local fossil or mineral club will be a good option.  We never know when we leave this world. 

I was seeing some information about your specimen, after the expert ID from Heteromorph and Erose. I think it is a very nice specimen and if it were mine I will be proud of it.

Best regards,

Ricardo
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nivek1969
On 4/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, ricardo said:

You are welcome.  Echinodermata are one of my favourite Phylum.

 

The lack of documentation is a real problem in some geological collections. This kind of collections aren´t ours, we just keep that specimens for a while. So, we must try have our collection well documented with specimens and all ancient labels, and  own label, closed in plastic boxes (it's more difficul to mess the specimens and labels) and cataloged (with digital pictures is a good and easy way). We must do that regularly, avoid have a large number of specimens without data. In my opinion we must educate our family or closest friends to know a little about our collection. In that way if it has scientific or museum value they could give it to an institution. If it is an ordinary collection an Highschool, a local fossil or mineral club will be a good option.  We never know when we leave this world. 

I was seeing some information about your specimen, after the expert ID from Heteromorph and Erose. I think it is a very nice specimen and if it were mine I will be proud of it.

Best regards,

Ricardo
 

Yes, the lack of info is unfortunate. But it is a beautiful specimen that I could not pass up. Thanks everybody!
-KP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×