Hell creek small theropod bone?

Hunter0811

I was recently going through some old finds from last summer when I came across this little bone, it is partially hollow and has very porous bone structure. that's why I assume this bone came from a very small theropod. It shares some resemblance to a bambiraptor coracoid as shown in the last picture and is almost exactly the same size.

the bone measures 11mm wide in the first picture 

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Nice little bone.  I have never seen one like this.  I like that you showed us the bambiraptor pix so we can say... oh, yeah, looks good.  

But...

I agree with troodon that it does not look theropodish.  I have no idea what this bone is and your coracoid is a pretty good guess.  The smaller end of yours is quite convex, but the bambiraptor one is fairly concave.  That might be a big difference.  Also the pother end of yours is really fat, while B-r thins out.  So I don;t think it fits the theropod coracoid.  

But what is it?  I have no clue.  If you hate having unidentified bones in your collection, feel free to send it to me for my collection.  : )

Oke well thanks non the less! I agree that it is very different from the bambiraptor coracoid but do far it was the closest match I could find. I'll have to do some more research and who knows maybe I'll ID it someday ;).

I sent an email to Peter Larsen of the Black Hills Institute in hopes that he could identify this bone.  He's has more experience in the Hell Creek than most but was in his words  "stumped".   So you do have an interesting specimen and if you ever find out what it is please let us know.

@jpc

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I sent an email to Peter Larsen of the Black Hills Institute in hopes that he could identify this bone.  He's has more experience in the Hell Creek than most but was in his words  "stumped".   So you do have an interesting specimen and if you ever find out what it is please let us know.

@jpc

Wow that's is interesting! Really kind of you to sent a mail to Pete hadnt thought of that yet. I will try to contact some other experts and keep you updated!

@troodon

Now that I think about it I could bring it this summer as I am in the area for some fossil hunting and I already personally know Pete! That way he can have a better look at it not sure if that will help but its worth a shot.

Definitely try other paleontologists you never know.  Its not a big bone so it does not get the limelight of the more prominent ones