Devonian Brachiopod

minnbuckeye

I have had this brachiopod for 2 years and would like to prep it out. It would be nice to know2019-04-014.thumb.jpg.1456960677f504596e69f9aaee034ebd.jpg what it is first so I can envision how it sits in the matrix. Cedar Valley Formation??

• I found this Informative 1

Not an echinoid.  It's a productid or chonetid brachiopod I think.  Unfortunately no name comes to mind.  If it is from the Cedar Valley it should be in Stainbrook 1943 though I confess I don't see anything quite like it in that publication.

Don

12 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Peat Burns, @Tidgy's Dad, any thoughts? Chemical or physical prep??

The only thing I've seen remotely like that in the Devonian is Spinatrypa.  Perhaps it's that.  I'm not familiar with the particular species of Spinatrypa out there, though.  If it's in an organic-rich shale, KOH would work, but if there are any broken or cracked spines, they will dislodge and you'll have a humpty dumpty.  I'd try a pin vice. It's a nice enough and unique enough specimen in which to invest some time.

@Peat Burns, I think you are correct!!!!

Found this image.

Mine looks like there are spines coming off all over the shell though, not just on the outer margin. Would they have lost them during prep or is this how it truly looks?

9 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Peat Burns, I think you are correct!!!!

Found this image.

Mine looks like there are spines coming off all over the shell though, not just on the outer margin. Would they have lost them during prep or is this how it truly looks?

You may also wish to compare with Hystricina.  It has a deeper shell.  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of photos showing them with spines.  They are known from the Cedar Valley Group.

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Would they have lost them during prep or is this how it truly looks?

Spinatrypa have spines all over, but I don't think the ones on the body of the shell are as long as those on the margins.  

Gorgeous and interesting brachiopod. :)

I'm with Tony on this one, I think very careful pin vice prepping is in order. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be a part of a spiny platyceras gastropod, are the spines hollow?   I would try sandblasting very slowly, just enough to see  the shell. I did not think the spine holes went through the shell on a brach, but I could be wrong.   Packy

On 4/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Not an echinoid.  It's a productid or chonetid brachiopod I think.  Unfortunately no name comes to mind.  If it is from the Cedar Valley it should be in Stainbrook 1943 though I confess I don't see anything quite like it in that publication.

Don

I agree; my first thought was productid. I'd love to see what it looks like prepped out! It might be more identifiable once prepped as well.

I would be afraid to prep it and lose any spines myself. I wish you luck in bringing better detail! Looking forward to seeing it if you decide to go further myself.