Unidentified Carboniferous fossil- probably plant

Strepsodus

I found this today in the Durham coal field, UK (upper Carboniferous).  I usually collect in the Yorkshire coal field, and although this one site is obviously not representative of the whole of the Durham coal field, the Durham coal field seems notably different to the Yorkshire coal field, with some rocks similar to ones at a site where I have collected in the Fife coal field, and some of the nodules similar to the nodules found at some sites in the Lancashire coal field.  Interestingly, there were some fish fossils in the same blocks as plants, and there were some large fish fragments in the same layers as foraminifera.  In the Yorkshire coal field, layers containing foraminifera usually only contain very small fish fossils.

My best finds today were a Rhizodont scale in a block containing plant fossils, a small fish tooth, an Elonichthys scale, a Megalichthys scale and some well preserved plant fossils.

Does anyone know what this is?  I’m 99% sure it’s a plant fossil.  I think I have seen a similar example before, but I don’t recall where I saw it.  My first thought was that it’s an arthropod fragment, though I think this is very unlikely.

Thanks,

Daniel

9B8F3D3B-335B-490E-85DB-288493DCE4EE.jpeg

9DC9B5F2-916D-4D17-B4D1-D2F3F7F60D45.jpeg

3E092838-487A-4FC5-888C-FF9277CFD1E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I've personally never seen plant material like that. My initial gut reaction was fish, but then I read your arthropod comment, and I would buy that as well. Can't wait to hear what others say!

I don't think that fish have a camp, but  if they did, I'd be in it.

Nice find. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It it were Devonian, (is there Devonian stuff in the area?), it might be Placoderm armor. 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-Skull-of-new-placoderm-genus-ANU-V3505-and-B-coccosteid-nuchal-plate-ANU-V3365_fig4_222574571

09143BC0-E157-4697-BEC6-D1A1AA14D4DC.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I don't think that fish have a camp, but  if they did, I'd be in it.

Nice find. :)

I would pitch my tent in the shark cartilage section of that camp.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  There are a lot of plant fossils in the same nodule, though these nodules can contain both arthropods and fish fragments.

Thanks,

Daniel

Dang no consensus yet....so I should have presented this reasoning/observation earlier...alot of times I just dont type enough and other times way too much...

5cb319382627f_possiblebothrodendronbarkwithpossibleleafscars.jpg.ad455006e99842896781964ad6819356.jpg

I was wondering if these circled areas are elliptical/diamond shapes are the remnant leaf scars...compare to Roman's closeup in his gallery.

Back to the chores and oatmeal...have a good finish to the weekend! 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 5

On 4/14/2019 at 7:35 AM, Plantguy said:

Dang no consensus yet....so I should have presented this reasoning/observation earlier...alot of times I just dont type enough and other times way too much...

5cb319382627f_possiblebothrodendronbarkwithpossibleleafscars.jpg.ad455006e99842896781964ad6819356.jpg

I was wondering if these circled areas are elliptical/diamond shapes are the remnant leaf scars...compare to Roman's closeup in his gallery.

Back to the chores and oatmeal...have a good finish to the weekend! 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks.  I think that identification is correct.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:35 AM, Plantguy said:

They do seem regular enough to be leaf scars, and the similarity in size and shape supports that also. The texture of the rest of it is not familiar.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!