Vertebrate bones or lookalikes?

winnph

I took the kids down to the beach at low tide today, and the strong winds earlier today at high tide had shifted the gravel beds pretty significantly, exposing a stretch of the Blakeley formation that's usually covered up. These immediately caught my eye as a possible vertebrate skeleton, but I don't really have any experience identifying fossil bones. I don't want to call this one in to the local paleontologist authorities unless that's what it is.  I'll attach what I can here and a few more photos in thread.

vert3.jpg

vert4.jpg

That was my thought initially, but if you look in the second photo where it has been broken, it looks like marrow to me.

1 hour ago, winnph said:

I took the kids down to the beach at low tide today, and the strong winds earlier today at high tide had shifted the gravel beds pretty significantly, exposing a stretch of the Blakeley formation that's usually covered up. These immediately caught my eye as a possible vertebrate skeleton, but I don't really have any experience identifying fossil bones. I don't want to call this one in to the local paleontologist authorities unless that's what it is.  I'll attach what I can here and a few more photos in thread.

vert3.jpg  vert4.jpg

The bottom pic here shows some promise!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I'm wondering if fossil bones sometimes have a concretionary "crust" on them? This was another one where it doesn't exactly look like bone inside but I don't know what it does look like.

vert6.jpg

It all looks like a conglomerate to me, where pebbles from an older sediment have been preserved in the newer matrix. 

Being harder than the matrix these pepples have been exposed by erosion. 

There also seem to be cracks filled with calcite here. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'll try to get out there again at low tide tomorrow to take better close-ups. The thing that caught my eye initially was how many of them looked symmetrical, kinda like vertebrae or something. But if they are bones, they definitely have some kind of concretionary layer over them. This one in particular seemed to have 4 symmetrical knobs, and in the wider shot many appear to have 2 similar bumps.

Screenshot_20190413-205054.png

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nothing there that looks like a bone shape and they do not have a biologic symmetry as for as I can see.

I'm sure I was just seeing patterns where none existed, but I'll try to get down there for more photos tomorrow, especially of that long cylindrical one that looks porous on the broken end.

I'm not sure whether these are really "better" but I took them from a couple angles at least? The gravel had shifted back over most of this area, but luckily not this one.

IMG_20190414_172420.jpg

IMG_20190414_172550.jpg

IMG_20190414_174601.jpg

I think there is definitely bone in there but couldnt tell you if all of the concretionary masses contain the same...my radar goes off that something is going on...

Did you happen to look closely at the upper right arrow for a similar porous/inner boney texture--looks like it may be a fresh exposed end/chip/fracture in your photo? 

5cb3e87cca1c9_Possiblebonevertebrae.jpg.b2c69e364d92642810b62f77787acc70.jpg

Regards, Chris  

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

I think there is definitely bone in there but couldnt tell you if all of the concretionary masses contain the same...my radar goes off that something is going on...

Did you happen to look closely at the upper right arrow for a similar porous/inner boney texture--looks like it may be a fresh exposed end/chip/fracture in your photo? 

5cb3e87cca1c9_Possiblebonevertebrae.jpg.b2c69e364d92642810b62f77787acc70.jpg

Regards, Chris  

I did not look at that part closely on the first visit, and it was in the area covered with sandy gravel today. This layer is a very soft mudstone that's almost like hardened clay more than stone. The layer immediately above it is a massive, well-cemented sandstone, so this layer is eroding a lot faster and is usually buried in beach sediment.

As evidence of the high organic content of the layer below, check out the chunk of fossil wood in the lower right corner of the photo (has the consistency of soft coal).

Screenshot_20190414-201629.png

I just went through my other photos and this was the only other cylindrical concretion that shows an area that looked relatively freshly broken. 

Screenshot_20190414-213359.png

19 hours ago, ynot said:

Sorry, but I do not see any bone in these pictures.

I understand. Gonna need some sharp closeups with no glare to determine anything further. The concretions I used to find with bone in them when water worn tended to blur seeing any bony structure clearly especially with sun glare on a wet surface...unless you got your face close and had magnification. 

This last photo does show some interesting textures...some very small elliptical diamond like structures in the left and the middle has what almost looks like a gastropod cross section and the area on the right that I circled has a layering that would be good to look at more closely and photograph clearly. Not sure if any of these are simply surficial marks/remnants/mineral deposit or actually the internal structure...

5cb528fcb76da_Possibleboneconcretionarymass.jpg.267880eee3527a2e19a31879e4e14c64.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, pnwAdam said:

Hey you must be close to me...did you find this on WS where Blakeley is visible?

Yes! It's in a city park where collecting is not permitted, but since it is the only spot in West Seattle with exposed bedrock it's still an interesting place to roam around at low tide.