Dino (?) bones from Niger #3

Chief1701

17 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks like rib yeah.

Thank you for the response!  Any idea what type of creature it might be from?  I have a smaller section as well, which is also the same brown/caramel color.  (Does the color indicate what it was preserved in?  I'm a total neophyte....)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Agree with the others looks like a rib.   Unfortunately its just a partial bone and there is nothing diagnostic to point us to its owner.   Lots of creatures including big Croc's that could sport that rib.

Color is indeed a direct result of the deposit the bone was mineralized in but does not help in identification.  Have you found any teeth that is what collectors typicaly see from Niger since they have market value. 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Agree with the others looks like a rib.   Unfortunately its just a partial bone and there is nothing diagnostic to point us to its owner.   Lots of creatures including big Croc's that could sport that rib.

Color is indeed a direct result of the deposit the bone was mineralized in but does not help in identification.  Have you found any teeth that is what collectors typicaly see from Niger since they have market value. 

Thank you for the information!  My source guy did have numerous teeth of various conditions, most of which I acquired!  I will ultimately get a slide video put together and post the link, but here's one I've been wondering about....  Sorry for the quality of the picture!  It has been holed, and quite possibly was worn as a decoration by a Tuareg nomad.  It also was found near Agadez, which has been a way station/trading spot for thousands of years for caravans passing through the desert.  Does it look familiar, by chance?  Thanks!  Rob

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

Sounds like a very cool locality but this specimen looks geologic and not a tooth.   Teeth would have an enamel covering and theropod teeth would be serrated. 

• I found this Informative 1