Shellseeker

Saturday is the day I am least likely to go fossil hunting but yesterday was the exception. Another gorgeous day, sun shining, birds chirping.. I also had some interesting finds ...

Some equus teeth and mammoth chunks upper left,  bones upper right and a few dolphin bullas under the bones. Nothing special like tusks or large Megs.

GroupShot.JPG.f78f1fd05cb2a6622bddf027f5f8d5cd.JPG

The tiny tooth lower center is a Mako:

SharkTooth.thumb.jpg.a50a59a765260804bced14ae4b942830.jpg

One of the mammal bones is a  1.5 inch cubonavicular, a little larger than deer (I think) may be Bos because it is not river worn..

cubonavicular1.JPG.fad8403cb10fff8bc371a161c99322c7.JPGcubonavicular2.JPG.ac00bfb009e0704cfd6cac9802405589.JPG

Then a 1.25 inch small canine,  I love finding canines...

CanineCrop.JPG.6d36f02b1735a7557ba946ee4e6bc75a.JPG

Found a bunch of gator teeth,  including these... odd longitudinal lines,

IMG_5612.thumb.jpg.e5c5d4acfbf1fdc2c2293c25040c0fb1.jpg

Finally this 1/2 long inch molar.  There is lots of diversity and variations on the Peace.  It has been collecting for millions of years.

IMG_5605.thumb.jpg.eaf0afd333e4255c930fa4cdfa9cb4df.jpgIMG_5607.thumb.jpg.6bf674962df5f57fb25080aee977b816.jpg

Every day is an adventure. I am so lucky to have this hobby, and this location.

Lookingdownstream.JPG.a2c3dfa1ecbe86e33b241b5eb0f58fab.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds. 

Those gator teeth are very interesting. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great finds and great weather. This is what I have been dealing with today in Chicago.

I feel for you .  Grew up in Connecticut,  Flew into Hartford on April 5th  -- snow flurries were waiting for me:o

I recall those years when winter seemed to last forever.... Hang in there.. The Sun is just around the corner.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

The Sun is just around the corner.

This is true, I will on Sanibel in a couple weeks.

Great finds Jack! Glad you had a great day outdoors! The weather has been looking up for us New Yorkers!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good finds Jack! :) I especially like the tiny shark teeth, canine and gator teeth. Congrats on a nice day on the peace!

54 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great finds and great weather. This is what I have been dealing with today in Chicago.

CA7CE36C-C922-4135-8A42-BE3C1C84E00E.thumb.jpeg.933054bfd816dbe64ae0e028efc5ff50.jpeg

I feel for you! I use to live in NY and St. Louis before moving to the sunshine state. Thank goodness I don't have to shovel or drive in that anymore.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

This is what I have been dealing with today in Chicago.

Yikes! I think I'll wait till June to head up there and visit family. ;)

Tammy and I got out on the Peace Today (another 10" or so lower than when we were out with a big group of kids and their adult minders two weeks ago). A few interesting finds and I collected a bit of micro-matrix gravel--I was just happy to get out and use my shovel and sifter after waiting so long for the season to start.

Cheers.

-Ken

13 minutes ago, digit said:

Yikes! I think I'll wait till June to head up there and visit family.

July might be better- LOL

Update:

Having read this thread, I am now thinking that the fossil above I thought was a deer cubonavicular is actually a Camel Navicular... Old TFF threads are valuable resources for identifications...

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent finds Jack, that canine is sweet :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Makes me wish for (next) Winter to return so I can try my luck at sifting AGAIN!!!

On 4/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, Shellseeker said:

Update:

Having read this thread, I am now thinking that the fossil above I thought was a deer cubonavicular is actually a Camel Navicular... Old TFF threads are valuable resources for identifications...

While having an email conversation with Dr. Richard Hulbert, I forwarded along your images from your specimen. He directed me to Figure 13.5 on page 246 of his The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida book (which all serious Florida fossil hunters should own). This figure shows the comparison of the tarsus (the group of small bones between the hind limb and the metatarsus in terrestrial vertebrates) of two artiodactlys--a camelid Camelops (A) on the left and a pronghorn Antilocapra (B) on the right. Richard mentioned that only ruminant artiodactyls (bovids, cervids, antilocaprids, etc.) have the cuboid and navicular bones fused into a bone alternatively called the naviculocuboid or the cubonavicular. In other artiodactyls like camelids and peccaries (and other mammals) these bones are separate. I've highlighted these bones in this comparison excerpted from the figure in his book for educational purposes here:

Comparison.jpg

Further, Richard mentioned that your ID of the specimen you found is indeed camelid and specifically from a llama (either Paleolama or Hemiauchenia) but that it is not from the back leg but from the front leg so it is not an ankle bone but a wrist bone and thus a "camelid scaphoid". Thought I'd pass this along for your benefit and for those reading this topic at present and (hopefully) in the future.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 5

On 4/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, Shellseeker said:

Every day is an adventure. I am so lucky to have this hobby, and this location.

Lookingdownstream.JPG.a2c3dfa1ecbe86e33b241b5eb0f58fab.JPG

OH MAN! What a beautiful site! Our weather is several weeks behind yours. You've got me crazy to get back in the water for the Spring fossil season.

4 hours ago, digit said:

While having an email conversation with Dr. Richard Hulbert, I forwarded along your images from your specimen. He directed me to Figure 13.5 on page 246 of his The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida book (which all serious Florida fossil hunters should own). This figure shows the comparison of the tarsus (the group of small bones between the hind limb and the metatarsus in terrestrial vertebrates) of two artiodactlys--a camelid Camelops (A) on the left and a pronghorn Antilocapra (B) on the right. Richard mentioned that only ruminant artiodactyls (bovids, cervids, antilocaprids, etc.) have the cuboid and navicular bones fused into a bone alternatively called the naviculocuboid or the cubonavicular. In other artiodactyls like camelids and peccaries (and other mammals) these bones are separate. I've highlighted these bones in this comparison excerpted from the figure in his book for educational purposes here:

Comparison.jpg

Further, Richard mentioned that your ID of the specimen you found is indeed camelid and specifically from a llama (either Paleolama or Hemiauchenia) but that it is not from the back leg but from the front leg so it is not an ankle bone but a wrist bone and thus a "camelid scaphoid". Thought I'd pass this along for your benefit and for those reading this topic at present and (hopefully) in the future.

Cheers.

-Ken

Well, Ken  Thank you.  This is informative and your relationship and emails with Richard are definitely rewarding for you, me and to the overall TFF membership !  Jack

:fistbump:

Hulbert might have mentioned that the scaphoid may fuse with the lunar, then called a "scapholunar."  This scapholunar was a puzzler for me when found.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice finds Jack! lovely canine and that"camelid scaphoid" is certainly something different .  Hoping that little gust/rain we got today didnt change things too much. 

Regards, Chris