Fake Keichousaurus

I was shown the photo of a juvenile Keichousaurus from the type locality in Guizhou this morning and was asked to check its authenticity. It looks real at a glance but when I look closer, it looks suspicious.  I was told that this is a man-made one.  Take a look.

IMG_9801.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

They are getting better all the time (hey, isn't that from a Beatles song?)--now you know why I prefer to find my fossils instead of purchasing. I may not have the nicest and most diverse collection but I know they are real fossils and not fabricated pieces of art. ;)

Thanks for showing these.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, digit said:

They are getting better all the time

As a beginner - it looks quite convincing.

Can you please point out what to look for in the fake 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

It seems to be a cast due all the holes left by air bubbles during the resin casting process.

• I found this Informative 3

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

As a beginner - it looks quite convincing.

Can you please point out what to look for in the fake 

IMG_9801.JPG.db108a81d8906c156354d58f4dac9eca.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

35 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Besides the telltale air bubbles, you can see on the edges that it was poured into a mold.

Yup. They could have spent a few minutes cleaning up the edges. But for the low low price of $15 you can't put in too much effort or it eats into your profit margins. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

12 hours ago, ReptileTooth said:

It seems to be a cast due all the holes left by air bubbles during the resin casting process.

It's gonna get really tough once they figure out how to vibrate during the casting process to get rid of the bubbles. However, in the casting the "matrix" will always look wrong in some way.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

This is such an unbelievable bad and poor cast! I can not believe it, that they sell this as real. Do they?

(Beside all the bubbles and the raised rim, there are no individual bones, its all the same gunk. Ok, it could go for unprepped, maybe...:o.)
Franz Bernhard

5 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

the real one below.

Keich_1a.jpg.bf0011bfcefd65a50306f0685c8118d3.jpg

I am not convinced! What does this very regular "Ildefonso"-like layering of the matrix mean?

Ildefonso.jpg.93d817d208a2b7bb49869c289e3e0de0.jpg

And I can not see any detail also on this Keich itself, but maybe the specimen is simply unpreped? And the surface of the slab so soooo smooth?

But pic is much too compressed to see anything with some confidence. 

One plus: Is there a vein running through the right part?

@digit, @Yoda, @ReptileTooth, @Bobby Rico, @Fossildude19, @steelhead9 @Mark Kmiecik, @Seguidora-de-Isis

Many thanks! 

Franz Bernhard

This is an unprepped specimen.  The layering shows the different matrix layers of the bedrock.  The line is a quartz vein but I want to point out that some very "clean" slabs (I show one below for reference) have no quartz veins at all, and so the presence of quartz veins is not always an indicator of genuineness. 

IMG_7634.JPG