Best Fossil Hunting in UK Yorkshire area?

lolman1c

Hello everybody,

I've been away from the forums for a long time (I had to finish my studies and then I went to live outside of the UK for a while teaching). Anyway, I'm back now and I'd love to spend some time looking for Fossils again on my weekends off. However, I'm limited as I don't have a car at the moment and have to rely on public transport so I was hoping some people here could give some good tips for sites that can be easily reached by public transport in the Yorkshire Area (or at least reachable within 3-4 hours). I'm starting off small again I don't mind if these sites produce common fossils, I'm mainly just looking for a good day out and to introduce my partner to fossil hunting (she seems mildly excited by it so i want to home in on that, Hahah). 

Thanks,

Lolman1c

54 minutes ago, lolman1c said:

I'm mainly just looking for a good day out and to introduce my partner to fossil hunting (she seems mildly excited by it so i want to home in on that, Hahah). 

Just make sure if you spot something nice, let her be the one to "find" it. That generally is the cincher for getting the interest up and running. ;)

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 1 month later...

If you can make it to Scarborough there’s loads to find at South Bay and Cayton Bay...

Cayton bay is my favourite it’s Jurassic in age the Oxford clay bed brings up loads of bivalves and ammonites also if you can find it there’s an amazing plant bed you can find at low tide 

• I found this Informative 1

From my own experience i would recommend Saltwick Bay near Whitby. I went there as a Yorkshire first timer and managed to find a bunch of whole ammonite nodules, lots of coil fragments, belemnites and even a block full of marine reptile bone. These all came from the south side of the bay, where once you come down the 'grand staircase' onto the beach (amazing scenery too), you'll see a long stretch of rocks underneath and in front of the cliffs to your right. The northern side would be fine too though i'm sure. Just avoid the area of rocks directly opposite the entry path in the middle of the beach. I found pretty much nothing there. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas