Jump to content
Racheld1

Unique pattern- what is this?

Recommended Posts

Racheld1

Hey all, I was fossil hunting on Boca Grande beach in SW Florida and found this interesting piece. It has a unique pattern on it, almost like a glypodont but I know it's not that. Curious to what it could be? 

fossil piece.JPG

fossil piece 2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bronzviking

Hi, need a close-up picture of the pattern, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

I think it is a fish tooth plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Cropped, reoriented, and brightened.

 

5cb4bbaa130cb_fossilpiece.JPG.0c0bc218d8ace6850d1960a50720e04d.JPG   5cb4bbb19c702_fossilpiece2.JPG.fb7083f9c7bc49d6601986a2415fd3cc.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1
40 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cropped, reoriented, and brightened.

 

5cb4bbaa130cb_fossilpiece.JPG.0c0bc218d8ace6850d1960a50720e04d.JPG   5cb4bbb19c702_fossilpiece2.JPG.fb7083f9c7bc49d6601986a2415fd3cc.JPG

I just really suck at pictures.. I though I did better this time! Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

I find very similar things at Boulder, UK. Most finds are croc or trionyx/emys turtle scutes along with limb bones. I wonder if it’s a scute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19
4 minutes ago, Racheld1 said:

I just really suck at pictures.. I though I did better this time! Thank you :)

Happy to help - no worries. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

I retract My previous ID. it is not a fish tooth plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailingAlongToo

From these photos it looks like a phosphate nodule to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1

Thanks all.. it’s an interesting piece!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
3 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

From these photos it looks like a phosphate nodule to me.

Could very well be SA2, but I am wondering if it could be a very well worn piece of turtle shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailingAlongToo
13 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Could very well be SA2, but I am wondering if it could be a very well worn piece of turtle shell.

 

I really wish we could go find turtle shell and other goodies at a certain spot! Water, water everywhere.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

 

I really wish we could go find turtle shell and other goodies at a certain spot! Water, water everywhere.......

....... and all the boards did shrink. 

I'm with you on that Jack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
23 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

From these photos it looks like a phosphate nodule to me.

I’m not so sure. The ones I find are always the same size and shape like this one give or take a few mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

The back side of it really makes me feel like it's some type of osteoderm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1
17 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

The back side of it really makes me feel like it's some type of osteoderm.

Possibly! I just thought it was a neat piece from the beach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax

put me in the osteoderm (or some such) camp. I think that most phosphatic lumps we see in lag deposits were once something before they got rounded in the high energy environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×