Fossil Hunting Tools for Beginners

DinoXChris

Hey everyone, what are the standard tools for fossil hunting? I'm guessing a hammer and chisel. Are there any preferred brands? How about videos for teaching newbies how to use this stuff?

Best,

Chris

Moved to COLLECTING GEAR.

Please have a look through this sub-forum, as you are not the first person to ask this. ;) 

It's been answered many times before, over the 12 years the Forum has been up. :)  

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

18 hours ago, caldigger said:

If I may make a suggestion...

20190415_181619.png

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm at Home Depot.

5 hours ago, facehugger said:

A strong flathead screwdriver is sufficient for many jobs...

Thanks.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, caldigger said:

If I may make a suggestion...

20190415_181619.png

Especially good for collecting forams. A lifetime supply in every scoop. But seriously, a rock hammer and a large long screwdriver should do the trick.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Here is one thread you may find useful.  Scroll down the first page to see version 3 of the list.  More here than a beginner will need for many hunts but less than you will need for others.  For example, this is not the list to use if you are going to search for shark teeth in the Peace River.  As others have said, read through this forum and create a set of tools that works best for the kind of hunting you will do.

• I found this Informative 1

Start by getting a geological hammer; then get assorted chisels. A pick end Estwing is the most popular hammer amongst professional geologists, and rock and fossil enthusiasts. I like the slightly heavier models which might substitute for a small crack hammer. See this model: E6 24C  https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Rock-Pick-Geological-Reduction/dp/B00DT0OZS6

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I forgot to mention a hard hat if you'll be hunting rock exposures that have overhangs. Getting hit in the head with a rock is never pleasant.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!