Preparing acanthodian fossils from the Tillywhandland quarry.

James_R_V

Did some fossil hunting at the tillywhandland quarry near Forfar during the weekend and found of partially exposed acanthodian fossils. I just wandering if anyone could give me some advice on how to expose the fossils without damaging them. Someone mention that I could use acid to expose them, but I  have been reading that potassium hydroxide could do just as well. The fossil are in clastic carbonate laminates. 

20190415_215556.jpg

This looks like air abrasion with baking soda might do the trick. 

@Ptychodus04  @Malcolmt

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My experience with these types of fossils is that air abrasion of any kind hurts more than it helps. If I was to attempt to expose any more of this fish I would do so with a super sharp xacto chisel blade under a scope removing the the fine grained matrix in the thinnest of micro layers until the fish was just starting to be exposed. I would then use a very sharp sewing needle in a pin vice to flake of the bits of matrix at the edges where the super thin remaining matrix and exposed fish meet. This is a very slow process but can give quite good results. Very old school...

I would not use a scribe of any type on it. This is very similar to what I would do when exposing a eurypterid in a super fine grained matrix.