Uzbekistan trip

Kasia

Thank you for a wonderful and exciting report! Those petroglyphs are incredible. 

Kasia, great entertaining and informative report- thanks for all of the pictures, it is nice when members take us with them visually on their trip rather than just posting their Fossil finds.

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great report Kasia! The pictures are fantastic! Cool finds as well!

5 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Thank you for a wonderful and exciting report! Those petroglyphs are incredible. 

I agree, for me it was the highlight of this trip - it was as exctiting to look for petroglyphs as looking for fossils :) I enjoyed it a lot.

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Kasia, great entertaining and informative report- thanks for all of the pictures, it is nice when members take us with them visually on their trip rather than just posting their Fossil finds.

Thanks, I wanted to add more context to the trip - since it was not exclusively fossil hunt :)

• I found this Informative 1

Wonderful report, Kasia!!!  That stone forest in the middle of nowhere is awesome!!!  And those petroglyphs are unbelievable!!!  Thanks for sharing :)

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Wonderful report, Kasia!!!  That stone forest in the middle of nowhere is awesome!!!  And those petroglyphs are unbelievable!!!  Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks a lot - you nailed it: it's in the middle of nowhere :heartylaugh: So are the other most exciting places ;)

Wonderful post! This is another of the benefits of being part of the fossil forum. I get to enjoy the "real" world, not the world as seen through a National Geographic's photographer.  Thanks for posting pictures of such a great adventure! I see Uzbekistan is about the size of Poland and the population is similar. Where do that many citizens live?? Concentrated in it's few cities? Also, it is surprising how wet the weather was while you were in Uzbekistan. My limited research shows an average annual rainfall of just 8 inches, with the land described as 80% arid wasteland. Amazing how beautiful wasteland is. Final question. Does the country protect those petroglyphs? I wish your sister well and make sure to pack sack lunches on your next trip there!

Mike

Im glad to hear your sister is better now.   This is a really interesting report.  Love the stone forest and the petroglyphs.  Awesome pics too! 

RB

15 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Wonderful post! This is another of the benefits of being part of the fossil forum. I get to enjoy the "real" world, not the world as seen through a National Geographic's photographer.  Thanks for posting pictures of such a great adventure! I see Uzbekistan is about the size of Poland and the population is similar. Where do that many citizens live?? Concentrated in it's few cities? Also, it is surprising how wet the weather was while you were in Uzbekistan. My limited research shows an average annual rainfall of just 8 inches, with the land described as 80% arid wasteland. Amazing how beautiful wasteland is. Final question. Does the country protect those petroglyphs? I wish your sister well and make sure to pack sack lunches on your next trip there!

Mike

I will try to answer some of your questions - they indeed have app. 33 mln people (less than Poland which has around 38 mln), and the majority of the population - almost 50% - lives in Fergana valley, which has got nice mild climate and plenty of water. It is true that there are huge areas of land totally empty - almost half of the country's territory are deserts, with no rain and no access to water, so not suitable for any settlements or farming. We were indeed lucky to see Uzbekistan so green, because - like I wrote - I'm sure shortly the landscape will change dramatically, when the temperature rises to even 50 degrees C in some places. 

As for the protection of petroglyphs (or the Stone Forest) - they are not protected in any way. I would expect some plexiglass plates to be mounted on the surfaces to protect the petroglyph carvings against weather impact and to keep the rock in place, but like I said - sadly there are several of them broken and I'm sure if I turned some of the pieces on the bottom of the walls, I would find pieces of petrogyphs. If they don't take care of this place, in 20 years there will be nothing to see.

Thanks for wishes - it would be best to travel with one's own food (and a cook :) ), but we treat eating local food also as a part of the experience. Unfortunately sometimes it does not end well :)

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im glad to hear your sister is better now.   This is a really interesting report.  Love the stone forest and the petroglyphs.  Awesome pics too! 

RB

Thank you :)

2 minutes ago, Kasia said:

travel with one's own food

In my case, food poisoning is more likely if I cook! I also agree, the risk of food issues is worth the benefit of partaking in the local cuisine!!

Mike

20 hours ago, Kasia said:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this report and the pictures :)

Yes, I certainly did! This has been my first glimpse of the backroads in this country of which I even generally don't know much at all. I learned a lot thanks to this topic. Thank you for sharing!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Yes, I certainly did! This has been my first glimpse of the backroads in this country of which I even generally don't know much at all. I learned a lot thanks to this topic. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks - I'm glad you find it informative :)

Wow what a great trip! My wife and I love traveling to places that most people tend to not go and Uzbekistan has been on my radar for a while!

23 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Wow what a great trip! My wife and I love traveling to places that most people tend to not go and Uzbekistan has been on my radar for a while!

:dinothumb:

I'm hoping that the unprotected sites become national parks or Unesco world heritage sites before they are dismantled by their exposure to the public. Man is famous for his ability to destroy that which is good and unique.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

41 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Man is famous for his ability to destroy that which is good and unique.

And on the other hand, we are also famous for our ability to learn, protect, and recognize beauty.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Very nice report and the shots of the flora and geology are wonderful. Regards, Chris