Fossil Collecting Laws in the US Forest Service lands

DPS Ammonite

I am collecting links to fossil, rock and mineral collecting laws/codes/rules in the US Forest Service lands and other Federal lands. LINK The default is that you are allowed to collect most invertebrate fossil in US Forest Service lands unless it is in written plans or rules that prohibit it. Always ask US Forest Service managers ahead of time if collecting is allowed and the written rule or plan that allows or prohibits it.

Please let me know if you have any additional info to add to my collection. I find the actual rules or laws most useful. 

Read sections 291.1 to 291.12 of the applicable code from the Code of Federal Regulations:  link Definition of “casual collecting” and its sub parts especially important. Rest of code should be read before collecting.

disclaimer.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

38 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I am collecting links to fossil, rock and mineral collecting laws/codes/rules in the US Forest Service lands and other Federal lands. LINK The default is that you are allowed to collect most invertebrate fossil in US Forest Service lands unless it is in written plans or rules that prohibit it. Always ask US Forest Service managers ahead of time if collecting is allowed and the written rule or plan that allows or prohibits it.

Please let me know if you have any additional info to add to my collection. I find the actual rules or laws most useful. 

Here is my highlighted version of the applicable code from the Code of Federal Regulations:  

Code of Federal Regulations marked.pdf

Keep in mind that there may be state, county, township, or municipal statutes that apply instead of or in addition to those at the federal level. Does your head hurt yet?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

12 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is my highlighted version of the applicable code from the Code of Federal Regulations:  

It appears someone replaced whatever you posted. Unfortunately.