Largest Carnivorous Land Mammal described

DPS Ammonite

The largest carnivorous land mammal ever with a jaw similar in size to that of a rhino was found in Kenya and described by researchers from the University of Ohio.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/ou-ffi041119.php

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Intersting article, but I have two questions

-I learned at school that the scientific names of animals and plants always were Greek or Latin. The last years I see more and more Chinese (or other languages like Swahili here) popping up. Is this official? I'm not a big fan of these since from most I don't know how to pronounce them.

-Wouldn't animals like the Orcinus, Livyatan and Physeter be bigger?

Thanks for posting.

5 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Intersting article, but I have two questions

-I learned at school that the scientific names of animals and plants always were Greek or Latin. The last years I see more and more Chinese (or other languages like Swahili here) popping up. Is this official? I'm not a big fan of these since from most I don't know how to pronounce them.

Thanks for posting.

Species names do not have to be in Latin or Greek. I believe that the word endings are influenced/ regulated by those languages.

Pronunciations are often unknown unless pointed out by the author. Pronunciations are influenced by the local languages in each country.  At least we can usually agree on the species spelling.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 4/18/2019 at 3:13 AM, gigantoraptor said:

I believe they meant land mammals, even though they never actually said so.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

14 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I believe they meant land mammals, even though they never actually said so.

Thanks for pointing out the semi obvious Mark and @gigantoraptor  Gigantoraptor was trying to point out the same thing when he mentioned marine mammals. I have edited my post to say largest land mammals.

Thanks for the correction. 

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Thanks for pointing out the semi obvious Mark and @gigantoraptor  Gigantoraptor was trying to point out the same thing when he mentioned marine mammals. I have edited my post to say largest land mammals.

Thanks for the correction. 

It's not your post that bothered me. It's that in the articles that both links access they never mentioned land mammals. One would expect those who create such articles to better define the parameters.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!