ID-problem: is this really a Carcharodontosaurus sp. ?

Compy

Hello together,

I am new to this forum and am starting to build my collection of dinosaur teeth. Because I want to do it properly, I am cataloguing the teeth I already own (unfortunately there aren't many yet).

While taking pictures for my database I stumbled upon one tooth I bought two years ago on a fossil fair here in Germany.

According to the seller it is supposed to be a Carcharodontosaurus sp. from the Kem Kem formation in Morocco.

Bit it looks completely different from my second Carcharodontosaurus sp. I bought last year (picture 2) and which shows the classical serration.

A first search for similar teeth on the internet remained without any results...

So here is my hope that you can help my with the identification.

Thanks in advance and please excuse my English...

IMG_20190418_175638.jpg

IMG_20190418_172400.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The first tooth is from a sauropod. It seems to be a Titanosaurid tooth. There are none described in the Kem Kem beds so the most accurate label is Titanosaurid indet.

The second tooth doesn't look like Carcharodontosaurid. These teeth pop up from time to time but are not described yet. Most accurate ID is Theropod indet.

There is not a single species of theropod in the Kem Kem beds that can be ID'ed by teeth alone. There are (at least) two Carcharodontosaurids (Carcharodontosaurus saharicus and Sauroniops pachytholus), two Spinosaurids (Spinosaurus aegyptiacus and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis), undescribed Abelisaurids, at least one Dromaeosaurid...

Also, the Kem Kem formation does not exist. The Kem Kem beds contains two terrestrial formations and one aquatic one. These teeth are either from the Ifezouane formation or the Aoufous formation. In general we don't know what formation contains what species.

• I found this Informative 7

Thank you very much for the fast help!

I was fearing that there might be some (hopefully not too much) falsely identified teeth. 

As a result I will now check all of my teeth and perhaps have to ask for some more expertises...

20 minutes ago, Compy said:

Thank you very much for the fast help!

I was fearing that there might be some (hopefully not too much) falsely identified teeth. 

As a result I will now check all of my teeth and perhaps have to ask for some more expertises...

May help check out the topics under Morocco 

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

May help check out the topics under Morocco 

I definately will, thank you!

nice teeth you have there even though there not you thought they were and your English seems good.