My Wife's Jurassic Ammonite Finds from Europe 2011

Uncle Siphuncle

I was overwhelmed with prep immediately after the 2011 trip my wife and I took to Europe, so I put down some of the more involved prep work until now.  Initially I prepped only the flashiest stuff we found.  Happy to be all caught up.

Prep involved air scribe, dolomite microblast, and coating with a mixture of beeswax and turpentine.  Hope you find them as appealing as we do.  

First, Drügendorf, Germany.

Drug1.jpg

Drug2.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Next, the Wolfgang Endress Quarry in Gräfenberg, Germany.  Wife kinda smoked me at this quarry.

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

More from Gräfenberg.

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

Grüße,

One of our favorite spots in France was the Lafarge Quarry at Belmont, near Lyon.  Insanely productive.  There were at least 100 collectors there that morning, many "in the know" showing up with wagons.  We only had about 4 hours to collect, but everyone was finding ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, and belemnites hand over fist for the entire time, even walking out.  First, let's look at what my wife found in the overlying Toarcian layer.  First 2 pics are forward and reverse of the same specimen.

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

Grüße,

More Belmont.

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

Grüße,

The underlying Aalenian layer was equally as impressive, if not more so.  Ammonites could be found loose as well as in blocks studded with belemnites.  Here are some loose ones my wife found.  Last 2 pics are forward and reverse of a double.

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

Grüße,

More lady luck.

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

While walking out, our friend Jean-Louis spotted this killer Porpoceras, and handed it to my wife.  I was afraid to mess it up with aggressive prep, so I saved it for last, when I'd hopefully be at the top of my prep game for material from Belmont.  We like it.

Porpoceras 1.jpg

Porpoceras2.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Grüße,

They are all very nice fossils.

Did you declare them when coming back to the U.S. and did customs have questions about them? I curious as to how difficult it is to leave one country and enter another with a suitcase full of fossils.

7 minutes ago, PaulK said:

They are all very nice fossils.

Did you declare them when coming back to the U.S. and did customs have questions about them? I curious as to how difficult it is to leave one country and enter another with a suitcase full of fossils.

We declared everything, about 1000 fossils or so.  During 2011 and 2015 trips it was easy to get fossils in and out of both countries...largely why we chose to visit those countries.  But with undercurrents of policy change since then esp in Germany, best to check the rules right before a trip. 

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

@Uncle Siphuncle Nice to see that you finally got them done. Man, you sure do take your time! I think I got down to mine practically the day after I got home from Gräfenberg. If I remember rightly someone with sticky fingers enlightened you of some of your finds. Man, was that "ärgerlich"!

By the way, you've got the names of your Lafarge layers mixed up. The first finds shown, various species of Leioceras, are from the opalinum zone of the early Aalenian. The ones below that are various species from the thouarsense and bifrons zones of the Late Toarcian. If you need any help with ids then just send me a PM.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for the correction, Roger.  Details grow fuzzy over the years.  Hope to see you again on site somewhere soon.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

• 2 months later...

hi Dan,

This one i missed, not very much on this forum. I guess this is a post from last april ? Nice to see your finds prepped well. Since i’ve done some investing recently i should be able to get similar results.....when i do i’ll upload some pix...greetz from Holland

2 hours ago, Everhardus said:

hi Dan,

This one i missed, not very much on this forum. I guess this is a post from last april ? Nice to see your finds prepped well. Since i’ve done some investing recently i should be able to get similar results.....when i do i’ll upload some pix...greetz from Holland

Feel free to post your finds as I’d love to see them!  Yes this was a recent post.  If memory serves, I was pretty overwhelmed by prep after that 2011 trip.  Right after we got home, my wife deployed to Iraq and Kuwait for 3 months.  While she was gone, I kept busy by collecting and prepping like a madman.  When she got home, I wasn’t finished prepping.  A bunch of her finds were tucked away forgotten for years.  

Grüße,

Some nice stuff for sure!  Always nice to hunt a productive site or two and come home with a bunch of goodies. 

RB