mcgcsp

Nice example of Scalarituba found yesterday as float in NE Ohio. I would like others to confirm my identification. Thank you!

IMG_20190418_154717.jpg

Marc

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice trace piece.

Please do not use coins for a scale - it is discourteous to Our non american members. Thank You.

As a non american i can say i dont find it discourteous at all. But I do understand the point you are making; you want us to send our American members Euros for scale :heartylaugh:

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice trace piece.

Please do not use coins for a scale - it is discourteous to Our non american members. Thank You.

I hope you're joking. Is a yardstick also discourteous? A meter stick would be discourteous to me. Can I use a dollar bill?

Marc

While a ruler, tape measure, yard stick or meter stick are preferable for use in a photograph for scale, sometimes we just use what is handy. 

It's always best to use measuring devices for scale when taking fossil photos for identification here on the forum.

International members are better served when measurements are easily observable. 

Not everyone is familiar with USA coinage sizes. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

A gentle recommendation that we are fortunate to have an international membership here, not all of whom are familiar with the national coinage of other members. Using internationally recognized forms of measurement is very helpful and does not present a barrier for others. Preferably, the internationally recognized form of measurement is the metric system as it is used in the sciences and by the majority of nations. If a metric measurement tool is not available, imperial measurement can suffice (but providing the conversion in metric would be a lovely gesture :)). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Don't know which one of the the trace fossils support that characteristics, maybe something in the line of the genus Cosmoraphe, but I'm not sure. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, mcgcsp said:

Nice example of Scalarituba found yesterday as float in NE Ohio. I would like others to confirm my identification. Thank you!

IMG_20190418_154717.jpg

You can also leave the penny and add how high and wide the photo is in mm. We are here to help you. Help us by providing us with good measurements and a positive attitude.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

As a non american i can say i dont find it discourteous at all. But I do understand the point you are making; you want us to send our American members Euros for scale :heartylaugh:

If you want to send me some Euros, I won't argue. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

• Fossildude19 locked and unlocked this topic

Hi,

11 hours ago, mcgcsp said:

I hope you're joking.

Your answer isn't cool with us, the non-English ones ! You ask for help, so it is well worth it to make a little effort...

If a meter stick would be discourteous to you, you have to know that when I give a measurement, I usually give it in meters AND inches ! Even when I don’t ask for identification. I don't require measurements in metres, but real measurements are essential for proper identification.

And in addition I make the effort to try to write in correct English ;)

Coco
  • I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

A simple ruler with both Standard & Metric is perfect & is also easy to obtain & use. 

DSC_0001.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

There are online tools to convert images with coins to add a ruler scale to them. Here is one:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_with_coins_to_indicate_scale

There are printable scales too, here is a link:

https://www.printablerulers.net/preview/Architect_Scale_12-inch

A Swiss Army Knife or a cell phone are examples of objects that are more universally recognizable. We have a TFF thread on US coin sizes too:

So can we now talk about that actually really cool looking fossil that I know nothing about? :):popcorn:

• I found this Informative 3

19 hours ago, Scylla said:

A Swiss Army Knife or a cell phone are examples of objects that are more universally recognizable. We have a TFF thread on US coin sizes too:

No, I don’t agree. Not everybody has a Swiss knife or a lighter, and not all phones are the same size. Why not make the effort to give a measure or to put a rule on the picture when it is so easy to get one?

In addition, there are so many new posts every day on TFF that I refuse to waste time going to another site to find out how much a piece measures, be it American or otherwise.

I repeat: when you ask for an identification you can make a small effort towards those who will spend time doing a service!

I’m sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Swiss Army knives and cell phones do not make good scales.

Let’s talk now about the “really cool” fossil.

B06BCE5F-95B3-4E40-9CFA-8C6A9EB9EF8D.jpeg

E9948CA1-9077-45E7-BD88-23A8291088BD.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

32 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Nice Swiss Army Toolbox..

That is a very nice looking piece!.  It does not really look like the pictures of Scalarituba in the book I have, but the written description seems to fit your item much better and it is known from the Devonian of Ohio, so that seems like a reasonable guess.  Maybe that is why I have always struggled with ichnofossil identification, a lot of variability and I'm just not familiar enough with it.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:07 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

E9948CA1-9077-45E7-BD88-23A8291088BD.jpeg

If you look at the saw blade of the Swiss Army Knife you chose to picture, you will notice a centimeter ruler embossed into the metal. What would be a better scale?

You could use it to see if the scalarituba is 2 to 4 mm across as in the original description. I think I see the meniscate ridges.