New house new display area! What do your display areas look like?

Al Tahan

Hey everyone!!

Im very excited to say me and my fiancé closed on a house last week :). We have some renovation plans (small plans I hope) and then we move in!

The house has this awesome built in china cabinet or something idk what it was technically for. There is some wires in there to get some lights but I’m curious what other people have for display cases in their homes. I bet there are some low cost LED lights out there. How do you guys like to do your displays? 

Heres what I have to work with. I feel like it has potential! 

9E68C322-BA9F-440C-A590-6CFB877AC3E0.jpeg.95f91d99d091028b9295dcc3df9e46ac.jpeg

19D2CA10-3603-409A-92D6-71673C898EF8.thumb.jpeg.fa33909652a05129f5722cfad35e1e1e.jpeg

Thanks for any ideas/tips and thanks to anyone who shares their display area set ups. 

Al

• I found this Informative 1

Congrats!

Definitely think of some kind of padding to stock the lower drawers for spare specimens with some boxes (think map drawer). Get some lighting in those cabinets for some display pieces. Rope or pocket lights might work here. The middle centre area is just begging for a huge single display piece: either a multi-plate of trilobites or a huge ammonite!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Congratulations 

You could make the most out of this build in cabinet. I think your Eurypterids plate would great on the top. You could line and segment the draws into compartments. The flat pack Swedish company does plenty of different lighting cheapish. Maybe make some stands for your fossil displays .  Good luck . Bobby 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Congrats!

Definitely think of some kind of padding to stock the lower drawers for spare specimens with some boxes (think map drawer). Get some lighting in those cabinets for some display pieces. Rope or pocket lights might work here. The middle centre area is just begging for a huge single display piece: either a multi-plate of trilobites or a huge ammonite!

I like the idea with the large specimen!! Plus other quality ideas! Thanks Kane 

51 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Congratulations 

You could make the most out of this build in cabinet. I think your Eurypterids plate would great on the top. You could line and segment the draws into compartments. The flat pack Swedish company does plenty of different lighting cheapish. Maybe make some stands for your fossil displays .  Good luck . Bobby 

I’ll check out the flat pack Swedish company. Thanks for the advice! I will be making compartments good idea! 

I definately  think it has great potential. Basically just add fossils. I like Kane's  idea for the middle, something big and flashy.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That sure does have a lot of potential. I concur with the suggestions of the others. Not much to add myself, but I'm sure you're already coming up with some good ideas. Just don't overly clutter it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Purdy cool.  Looks like you have lots to work with.  All I have are just cabinets with glass shelves but they work good enough for me.  Just wish I had more room.

RB

DSCN1329.JPG

DSCN1814.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Purdy cool.  Looks like you have lots to work with.  All I have are just cabinets with glass shelves but they work good enough for me.  Just wish I had more room.

RB

DSCN1329.JPG   DSCN1814.JPG

I have 1 curio cabinet I may work into the mix lol. Your crab display is insane!! 

Sadly I don’t have room for glass cabinets but just got a couple of books case I made full of natural history treasures and some draw units. We just have a small farmer workers cottage  

8FA34A4B-F25C-40C7-A9F4-75707B8983C2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Potential Indeed!! A nice piece around which to store/display your fossils.

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sadly I don’t have room for glass cabinets but just got a couple of books case I made full of natural history treasures and some draw units. We just have a small farmer workers cottage  

8FA34A4B-F25C-40C7-A9F4-75707B8983C2.jpeg

You made the most of that space! I zoomed in and I must say there are some amazing specimens :envy:

10 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

You made the most of that space! I zoomed in and I must say there are some amazing specimens :envy:

Kind of you to say thank you , 

Congratulations on your new home purchase. It's always an exciting time to plan and decorate and displays our treasures. That cabinet has good potential but will need light like mentioned inside the cabinets. You could cut a shelf to fit across the two highest cabinets on either side. This will give you extra display space. Good Luck!

My displays are strictly for public showing. This is the third year in a row, I haven't pulled them out to exhibit. It's a shame really.

It takes 5.5 hours to set up and about 3 hours to tear down. I need to find a long term home to exhibit these.

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

22 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

I need to find a long term home to exhibit these.

"raises hand to volunteer" :D

Don

Everyone has been showing you their stuff.  Gunna be interesting to see what youve done and to see your stuff. 

RB