Unknown osteoderm from the Peace River

PaleoNoel

Hey everyone, I found this fossil last February on the Peace River, I believe I posted it with a bunch of my other finds from that trip a while ago and the ID came up inconclusive. I was hoping the folks on the forum could help me out with this one again. It's about 3.5 cm in diameter and I first thought it belonged to a glypodont but I'm not so sure.

5cb942115f9ac_Peaceriverunknownosteoderm1.thumb.JPG.0c4f9ce207a6b5ad01ca49a890f8aa5f.JPG

5cb9421ac0865_Peaceriverunknownosteoderm2.thumb.JPG.152ef4122520c1b411c995859869d51f.JPG

1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

I first thought it belonged to a glypodont

Hi There, glyptodont osteoderms are quite robust.  I'd like to also toss out the possibility of something I see often here in Georgia. Similar fauna. I get quite a few bony fish skull elements.  They are quite fragile all being considered and have a similar texture when worn.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I'll pull a few out for comparison. I usually don't keep the majority of them. Here are the few I have left. 

20190419_003325.thumb.jpg.8a914e595215e10c88772b9ae75f3116.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There, glyptodont osteoderms are quite robust.  I'd like to also toss out the possibility of something I see often here. I get quite a few bony fish skull elements.  They are quite fragile all being considered and have a similar texture when worn.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I'll pull a few out for comparison.

Thanks, after seeing more glypodont osteoderms over the past year I've eliminated it too.

6 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There, glyptodont osteoderms are quite robust.  I'd like to also toss out the possibility of something I see often here in Georgia. Similar fauna. I get quite a few bony fish skull elements.  They are quite fragile all being considered and have a similar texture when worn.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I'll pull a few out for comparison. I usually don't keep the majority of them. Here are the few I have left. 

20190419_003325.thumb.jpg.8a914e595215e10c88772b9ae75f3116.jpg

Atlantic Sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrhynchus

Here is a Lee Creek example from elasmo.com:

acipenser.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Hey everyone, I found this fossil last February on the Peace River, I believe I posted it with a bunch of my other finds from that trip a while ago and the ID came up inconclusive. I was hoping the folks on the forum could help me out with this one again. It's about 3.5 cm in diameter and I first thought it belonged to a glypodont but I'm not so sure.

5cb942115f9ac_Peaceriverunknownosteoderm1.thumb.JPG.0c4f9ce207a6b5ad01ca49a890f8aa5f.JPG   5cb9421ac0865_Peaceriverunknownosteoderm2.thumb.JPG.152ef4122520c1b411c995859869d51f.JPG

Sturgeon. Pls see my other response above.  They are extremely common in the Pliocene sediments of the Yorktown Fm of Lee Creek

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

@Shellseeker

This thread might be of interest.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Atlantic Sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrhynchus

Thanks .... they are not uncommon here in bits and pieces. I appreciate the fish ID. Lee Creek just keeps giving.

Cheers,

Brett

Thanks guys! How often are these found in the peace river? I don't think I've seen them in anyone's trip reports on here before.

What does the other side look like? It looks like a worn piece of turtle shell to me. Post for comparison.

Also turtle shell frags from Apollo Beach that look similar to yours.

Turtle Shell Frags.JPG

• I found this Informative 1