Any thoughts on smallmouth sands, Weymouth?

Pterygotus

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

Is this what a green looks like. I’ve been assuming this for about 10 years :DOH:

F8763B83-C072-4CF6-AC92-74F355B3D2F8.jpeg

I'm afraid not. The photos that I posted earlier show the sort of nodules in which you can expect fossils to be found, particularly ammonites- the 'greens'. Upon prepping, the nodule could end up like this one. Characteristically, bowled out to reveal, in this case, more than one. This was prepped by Lizzie Hingley, at Stonebarrow Fossils, who is one of the best preppers of 'greens'. 

84954890_10221171971955953_4320511145841524736_o.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, onawhim said:

I'm afraid not. The photos that I posted earlier show the sort of nodules in which you can expect fossils to be found, particularly ammonites- the 'greens'. Upon prepping, the nodule could end up like this one. Characteristically, bowled out to reveal, in this case, more than one. This was prepped by Lizzie Hingley, at Stonebarrow Fossils, who is one of the best preppers of 'greens'. 

84954890_10221171971955953_4320511145841524736_o.jpg

Are these the same material as the rounded beach pebbles under stonebarrow? I have an ammonite deathbed from Charmouth that is in a rounded pebble.

40 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Are these the same material as the rounded beach pebbles under stonebarrow? I have an ammonite deathbed from Charmouth that is in a rounded pebble.

Could be but of course, not all beach pebbles under Stonebarrow are of the same rock as those which contain ammonites. Getting to know which is the rock is half the secret! 

27 minutes ago, onawhim said:

Could be but of course, not all beach pebbles under Stonebarrow are of the same rock as those which contain ammonites. Getting to know which is the rock is half the secret! 

Thanks! I’ll post a picture of it tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2020 at 9:08 PM, onawhim said:

Sorry for the late reply but would the greens be more common under golden cap? :)

They are probably more common at the eastern end of Charmouth's East Beach but at Golden Cap and around the corner, in the Green Ammonite Member at Seatown, the shape of the nodules changes and it's probably true to say that the preservation isn't quite as good.

15 hours ago, onawhim said:

They are probably more common at the eastern end of Charmouth's East Beach but at Golden Cap and around the corner, in the Green Ammonite Member at Seatown, the shape of the nodules changes and it's probably true to say that the preservation isn't quite as good.

Thanks again.:) Am I right when I say the brachiopod I posted above would be from the Black Ven marls?

On 19/04/2019 at 7:00 PM, Pterygotus said:

Does anyone have any thoughts or reviews on Smallmouth sands, Weymouth? It’s just i recently saw some dinosaur vertebrae from that location and would like to give it a try. Also, I keep hearing the word dredged. Is there some sort of cliff or ledge?

There are much better areas in the Weymouth area to try your luck