Quick backyard walk

Suvi

Enjoying the beautiful spring days after few storms here in North TX. Lost my lure but found these. It was a good trade ! 

A904D319-F525-484B-ABB6-94621E920108.jpeg

5365173A-2CC6-4267-BFF9-56F1F3114854.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Wow! Looks like your backyard is in the Britton. Lovely shark tooth and Allocrioceras fragment amongst all the Sciponoceras.

• I found this Informative 4

Great finds! Love that tooth, do you know the species?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

21 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Great finds! Love that tooth, do you know the species?

Most likely Cretolamna appendiculata.

8 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Wow! Looks like your backyard is in the Britton. Lovely shark tooth and Allocrioceras fragment amongst all the Sciponoceras.

Those are mighty cool fragments! 

What says Sciponoceras in those shots? Is there a particular zone where those two are commonly associated? The pics look kind of blurry to me and I was curious and just trying to learn something about the local Texas geology/ids over there...thanks..

Regards, Chris  

6 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Those are mighty cool fragments! 

What says Sciponoceras in those shots? Is there a particular zone where those two are commonly associated? The pics look kind of blurry to me and I was curious and just trying to learn something about the local Texas geology/ids over there...thanks..

Regards, Chris  

Sciponoceras gracile occur with great frequency in the uppermost Cenomanian Sciponoceras gracile zone of the upper Britton, often in concentrations such as what is seen around the Allocrioceras fragment. I am not aware of any other baculitid species in the Britton. In this zone also occurs Placenticeras, AllocriocerasWorthoceras, Scaphites, Euomphaloceras, and Metoicoceras, just to name a few out of many other genera. 

The shark tooth is a bit of a rarity since vertebrate material is much more common in the lower Britton than the upper, but not unheard of.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Sciponoceras gracile occur with great frequency in the uppermost Cenomanian Sciponoceras gracile zone of the upper Britton, often in concentrations such as seen around the Allocrioceras fragment. I am not aware of any other baculitid species in the Britton. In this zone also occurs Placenticeras, AllocriocerasWorthoceras, Scaphites, Euomphaloceras, and Metoicoceras, just to name a few out of many other genera. 

The shark tooth is a bit of a rarity since vertebrate material is much more common in the lower Britton than the upper, but not unheard of.

Thanks for the insight...out in Northern California when we'd find ammonites and occasionally belemnites we never ran across baculitids...not sure if they had even had appeared yet as its L.Jurassic/E.Cretaceous or it was simply a reflection of the area of deposition/environment. Very cool stuff you all have over there! thanks again. 

• I found this Informative 2

9 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks for the insight...out in Northern California when we'd find ammonites and occasionally belemnites we never ran across baculitids...not sure if they had even had appeared yet as its L.Jurassic/E.Cretaceous or it was simply a reflection of the area of deposition/environment. Very cool stuff you all have over there! thanks again. 

Thanks. The baculitids didn’t come about until around the Albian, so too late for those deposits. And in Texas Upper Cretaceous deposits, belemnites are extremely rare while the baculitids are everywhere.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for all the insight, always nice to learn more and confirm what I have. The shore is full of clusters embedded in the red matrix. 

9EA854DC-C192-4245-86F8-4E99FFFDC0FE.jpeg

Very nice finds! 

That last photo is a beautiful specimen. :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png