large fossil in coastal wall California

Nate35

hello my name is Nathan this is my first post. I am new to this so let me know how to do better 

4' above high tide line on the beach

first photo is about 8in across I believe is a vertebrae. maybe a whale?

the 2nd photo is about about 6" wide and is 4' away from the vertebrae. 

I did some research and found out someone found a sea cow about 10 north from this find but it is not in the same kind of sediment the sea cow was found in sandstone. it seems that there is no one really interested in preserving this he explained that he watched them fall about for about 15yrs and now they are gone. Are fossils so common that people pic and choose what's worth saving? 

I can get more photos and bring a tape measure its only a 4 min walk from my house. It would not let me add my other photos. 

thanks for your help

IMG_7848.JPG

IMG_7849.JPG

Nathan, our coastal shores are littered with whale remains. Bones are constantly being plowed up in the fields and vineyards around here. 

We also get "modern" whale bones washing up on shore after big storms. Remainents of our whaling days of yore.

When you say "Sea Cow" are you referring to something like Manatees? 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Or perhaps the Steller's sea cow has gone south at one point? :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Nathan, our coastal shores are littered with whale remains. Bones are constantly being plowed up in the fields and vineyards around here. 

We also get "modern" whale bones washing up on shore after big storms. Remainents of our whaling days of yore.

Your guess is better then mine. I was just looking to see if fossils where found in my area. If you google Avila beach sea cow the artical will come up. This is what it looked like 

50E2CCC9-D141-4600-92F7-8AEF25B60C32.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum, Nathan. :) 

The best thing to do would be to contact a local university or museum, and see if there is any interest in them excavating the fossil, or, at least looking at it. 

There is a 4 MB limit to the size of the photos. You can always add more by posting in a new  reply at the bottom of the page. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Interesting stuff but even I got tired of the whale stuff in Northern Cal.  Was always parts of ribs or parts of verts.  How much can one bring home?  The skulls were on the rare side.  Only found one in 15 years.  Good luck though

RB

• 1 month later...

The "Sea Cow" was a Desmostylus. I know who originally found it,  it disappeared when he died to some collector up north that raided his stuff when he passed.

some well lit and close up photos would be appreciated if you can get them.