Novice seeking ID help

PODIGGER

I am a novice fossil hunter seeking some confirmation on a couple of finds in the Peace River, FL this week.  I believe the images in the attached photo are a Tapir tooth and Alligator jaw section with two teeth.  I would appreciate help in confirming or properly identifying these finds.  I am also interested in information on how I can clean the "Alligator" jaw/teeth to remove green algae without damaging the specimen.  Thanks

rsz_20190419_185004_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Well lit pictures of the mandible from all directions would be helpful. 

Also, an image of the chewing surface and other side of the tooth will help as well. ;) 

First image, brightened and cropped.

rsz_20190419_185004_resized.thumb.jpg.dde37ba0f01299502f3630fe7ccd6b1c.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum.  The tooth doesn't appear to be from a tapir, but the image is too dark and unfocused to say with confidence what it is.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Tim - thank you for lightening the picture.  looks much better.  The picture is of the chewing surface the opposite side is the root (only 1/2).  I will reshoot different angles of both items and repost to possibly help in the ID.  Harry - Any idea if not Tapir?

With help from my photographer wife I can provide the following MUCH better photos.  Here is the individual tooth.  Original photo showed bite surface. these are bottom and sides.  If not Tapir, what could it be?

_88I3174.jpg

_88I3182.jpg

_88I3185.jpg

Here are the shots of the mandible and teeth.  Alligator?  Also curious as to how I can clean it without causing damage.

_88I3189.jpg

_88I3192.jpg

Looks like a recent 'gator premaxilla.  Technically, this is probably illegal to possess without a permit.  I might wet the bone in plain water, then dip it briefly with a mild laundry bleach solution.  Rinse in plain water.  Repeat as necessary.

Images of tooth roots are usually not informative.  The occlusal surface is the best exposure for cheek teeth like these:

tapiruppers.JPG.dcc8df7db99f0c26958ec5b788e19ba8.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Correct about the jaw piece w/teeth.  Gator or croc.  The pits in the jaw are the distinguishing feature. I also concur that it's likely recent.  

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 4/20/2019 at 5:00 PM, Harry Pristis said:

then dip it briefly with a mild laundry bleach solution

Bleach (even mild) is pretty bad for bone.  Modern bone is much better cleaned in hydrogen peroxide (stuff from the store is fine), just soak it in that full strength and see it that cleans it up any.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

ClearLake,

Thank you.  I did use the peroxide on a couple of items and worked great.

• 1 year later...

That left prefrontal section of the jaw is very familiar to me, and it is certainly Alligator; judging by the apparent approximate age, it would almost certainly be A. mississippiensis.

11 minutes ago, Crocophile said:

That left prefrontal section of the jaw is very familiar to me, and it is certainly Alligator; judging by the apparent approximate age, it would almost certainly be A. mississippiensis.

Premaxilla rather than prefrontal, which is a bone closer to the eyes.   'prf' onthe drawing below.  The bone might also be the end of the dentary... need more photos for me to ID it. 

Croc.thumb.png.8dcccfb5d7e0e6d3074959c3d0e24898.png

56 minutes ago, Crocophile said:

Thank you, jpc! I was posting well past my bedtime.

easy mistake to make.