Pretty large sharkstooth found in Huntingtown MD, need ID

Chris Barth

Found this today, been a while(all winter, lol!) since Ive been down to my very productive, secluded beach. 

Doesn't have the classic Meg shape but its pretty big.  Beautifully preserved and colored as well. 

Would like to know which monster this came from;)

0420191721.jpg  0420191722.jpg

0420191722a.jpg   0420191722b.jpg

0420191722c.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
Photo link removed
  • I found this Informative 1

The tooth is an upper anterior or lateral broad-toothed shark Cosmopolitodus hastalis or Carcharodon plicatilis. 

Also, although I myself do not currently have any problems with the links, it is recommended that you upload photos directly onto the forum. Third party uploaders frequently create errors that make it unaccessible to others. :)

• I found this Informative 3

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Can you post the pics directly to this thread? Most members do not like to be taken to another site, to look at a pic that can easy be posted here instead

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Also, please do not post the photos of the Clancy estate.  They are not directly relevant to the fossil, and it seems more than a little inappropriate to be posting photos (or links to photos) of someone's private residence.  

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Adding on to what Don said, if you already know the formation of the locality, which according to your thread tags would be Calvert Cliffs, it would be unnecessary  to name a nearby estate. Formation should be good enough for us. ;)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Can you give us the size measurement?

TV remotes can vary in size greatly.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

lesser white shark

But this "lesser" white shark can tower over the great white in length! :P

Photos added directly to post. 

Better to add them here than to leave a link that will expire at some point. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cosmopolitodus xiphodon, the immediate precursor to the Great White.  There's argument about calling these teeth broad-form C. hastalis vs C. xiphodon, but I'm not going to get into it. 

There's an interesting article on the Great White lineage that includes these teeth on Elasmo.com

Fine tooth!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thank you for the ID fellas!  I agree, should have posted directly into the forum. As far as the Clancy estate photos, come on man, might be slightly off topic but their pretty interesting. Jezz!!  Ban me, IDK!! Lol!

14 minutes ago, Chris Barth said:

As far as the Clancy estate photos, come on man, might be slightly off topic but their pretty interesting. Jezz!!  Ban me, IDK!! Lol!

Not interesting enough to risk having to deal with lawyers.  Stalking rich/famous people is not what this web site is about.

Don

You're welcome!  Banning is not something we do frivilously....

Probably best to avoid broaching the subject frivilously too.  

2 hours ago, Chris Barth said:

Thank you JohnJ for the edit!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the ID guys!  Amazing how many creatures have lived and died on this planet.  I don't think the average person(not a fossil nut) can appreciate or even comprehend the magnitude of it. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it!   The beach I have is extremely productive.  I have a meg the size of my hand, literally a 5" tooth.  Never put the pic here because it's

almost unbelievable.  Found it this winter while looking for a racing drone I crashed, ended up high on the cliff.  Found both the tooth and the drone. Lol!

BTW, I had no idea those pics would create legal issues!  Amazing!