Is this a fossil

shenningsgard

Greetings! My lady friend and I are beginner rock collectors, and occasionally find something that seems fossil-like to our untrained eyes. This is one we felt seemed like a tooth; are we even in the ballpark?

We found it in a gravel parking lot in central Minnesota. It isn't magnetically reactive, but that's about all we know!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by shenningsgard

Its a rock.

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

1 minute ago, JohnBrian said:

Its a rock.

Sweet - thanks! Any tips on how you could tell so quickly, so I don't waste anyone's time next time?

Edited by shenningsgard

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Never think you are wasting anyone's time here; we all started somewhere, and we love to see what people find. 

Shark teeth would likely have an enamel surface texture, which this one unfortunately doesn't. Although it has the tantalizing shape of a very worn tooth, that is about as much of a similarity as one can get with this piece. That being said, perhaps you could say where in Minnesota this was found? We do have some great Minnesota members here who know the geology of the state quite intimately and might be able to tell you more about what you can expect to find. :) 

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The best way to learn is to follow this forum - you'll quickly begin to get an idea about things like this. As Kane says, teeth tend to have at least a hint of an enamelled surface.

No enamel, no vestige of a root, no hint of an occlusal  surface. All points towards suggestively shaped rock.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Gravel parking lots often have many fossils. Not often anything worth collecting, but enough to give you a good idea of what is and what isn't. Keep trying. Helping you identify what you've found is what we enjoy and half the reason we're here.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks all for the informative responses! I've been involved in other forums in which I was decidedly not the local n00b, so I get the terse replies (JohnBrian) when someone who clearly hasn't done his/her homework comes in and wastes people's time. That said, the other replies were helpful and made me excited to research more on my own, so thank you! I'll be sure to report my findings once I'm better informed (and can make totally new novice mistakes :p)

• I found this Informative 3

Every single one of us has made many, many mistakes when new to it, I wouldn't worry about it. Seven years in, and I'm still making 'em.