Past Hunter

I’m in need of some help on some old finds from Aurora. I thought shark nose, crocodile, whale tooth, what do you think. 

1A9F66B8-E079-41E7-AB9D-09B28962DA6C.jpeg

3E781E3C-FDA8-4B32-B894-CD45D5914327.jpeg

52120913-FF20-46E2-93E6-FA26BA4003D0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

1) Geologic concretion,

2) Crocodile Osteoderm

3) Looks like a 2 inch tooth tip.  Doubt if it is whale.  Might be Croc. More photos would help.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

1) Geologic concretion,

2) Crocodile Osteoderm

3) Looks like a 2 inch tooth tip.  Doubt if it is whale.  Might be Croc. More photos would help.

I agree with Shellseeker's ID's

The first is indeed a shark rostral node.  Suggested reference: The taxonomic value of rostral nodes of extinct sharks, with comments on previous records of the genus Lamna (Lamniformes, Lamnidae) from the Pliocene of Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina (USA).

Acta Geologica Polonica, 2000
John Jagt

The second Croc osteoderm

The third could be croc, could be Squalodon. I can't tell

• I found this Informative 7

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I definitely see the shark nose and the croc osteoderm. The last sure looks like a tooth but I can't ID from these photos.

17 hours ago, hemipristis said:

The first is indeed a shark rostral node.  Suggested reference: The taxonomic value of rostral nodes of extinct sharks, with comments on previous records of the genus Lamna (Lamniformes, Lamnidae) from the Pliocene of Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina (USA).

John Jagt

Shark rostral node. OK! I learned something new today. Had no idea and never heard of it before. Good work. Thank you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I will try to take some more pictures tonight. 

Here are a few more pictures. Thanks for the reply’s. 

353234C8-4E7F-41B2-ACD6-0ABC83641E23.jpeg

255712E1-37DC-4698-880C-74620EE7C9AA.jpeg

On 4/23/2019 at 6:52 AM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Shark rostral node. OK! I learned something new today. Had no idea and never heard of it before. Good work. Thank you.

You are very welcome sir!  I found a bunch over the years at LC. Didn't know what they were at first either but the great Becky Hyne identified them for me. Then I saw I also saw photos of them in the Smithsonian Lee Creek Vol. III book (which I highly recommend if you don't already possess it).

George Santayana

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Didn't know what they were at first either but the late, great Becky Hyne identified them for me.

I don’t think she’s the late Becky Hyne.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, Al Dente said:

I don’t think she’s the late Becky Hyne.

Well that's awkward.  Deleted the word.  

Hmm, clearly I got my news wrong

George Santayana

• 1 year later...

It's really me. Becky Hyne here...I'm still kicking. Not doing a lot of fossil hunting, but dreaming and reminiscing.  I'm currently in Red Level Alabama and looking forward to checking out fossil locations around here if I can.

Hi,

Very bad idea to register a clickable email on a forum, because it will be quickly taken over by all spambots !

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@BeckyHyne

I removed your email address from your post.  Anyone interested in contacting you can send you a Personal Message via our PM system.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 22/04/2019 at 5:20 AM, hemipristis said:

John Jagt

The second Croc osteoderm

The third could be croc, could be Squalodon. I can't tell

Curious bit of trivia... So, all that remains of sharks as they fossilise are their teeth, vertebrae and nose (at least in some species)? Is the nose made of cartiliginous bone in live as well?

As to the identity of the remaining fossils, I'm afraid I'm not of much help there, other than being able to confirm the crocodile scute / osteoderm the others have also pointed out already...

For me, the additional photographs of the tooth don't make things much clearer, though it doesn't look like a crocodile tooth to me - based on the shape of the cross-section. In fact, the cross-section seems too irregular to me to match a tooth, even if the outline of the fossil is very reminiscent seen from other perspectives. I mainly go in for mesozoic reptiles, but based on the white outer surface, could this not be some kind of shell, may be something like a rudist (though those were obviously long extinct by then)?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hi,

The skull and nose of a shark are also made of cartilage, like all hard parts of their body. 

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 9/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, BeckyHyne said:

It's really me. Becky Hyne here...I'm still kicking. Not doing a lot of fossil hunting, but dreaming and reminiscing.  I'm currently in Red Level Alabama and looking forward to checking out fossil locations around here if I can.

Why hello there!!!   I'm so glad to hear from you!

George Santayana

On 9/6/2020 at 9:08 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Curious bit of trivia... So, all that remains of sharks as they fossilise are their teeth, vertebrae and nose (at least in some species)? Is the nose made of cartiliginous bone in live as well?

Shark cartilage can also be found, and is a relatively common find at the Lee Creek Mine (now closed). I have a box full.  They always seem to be small and fragmentary, however, no larger than a thumbnail or so.  Of the ~100 pieces that I have collected from there, only one is identifiable as to location--under the eye.

I have seen isolated finds of cartilage from various locations, but I cannot believe that only LC has them in any abundance. I suspect most people don't know what it is, so they either don't pick it up, or they do and it's in the "unidentified" box that we all have, haha

George Santayana

10 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

Shark cartilage can also be found, and is a relatively common find at the Lee Creek Mine (now closed). I have a box full.  They always seem to be small and fragmentary, however, no larger than a thumbnail or so.  Of the ~100 pieces that I have collected from there, only one is identifiable as to location--under the eye.

I have seen isolated finds of cartilage from various locations, but I cannot believe that only LC has them in any abundance. I suspect most people don't know what it is, so they either don't pick it up, or they do and it's in the "unidentified" box that we all have, haha

Hadn't heard about this before, but very intriguing. Any pictures to educate the unaware and help discover more shark cartilage from different locations?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Hadn't heard about this before, but very intriguing. Any pictures to educate the unaware and help discover more shark cartilage from different locations?

Let me break out the camera and I"ll click off a few.  Please give me a day or so, as I'm working long days in the field this week

George Santayana

Just now, hemipristis said:

Let me break out the camera and I"ll click off a few.  Please give me a day or so, as I'm working long days in the field this week

No worries, I can wait. Just very interested in seeing what it looks like ;)