Lance fm Mammal Tooth?

PaleoNoel

I just "rediscovered" what I believe to be a cretaceous mammal tooth, I placed it with the triceratops and edmontosaurus spit teeth thinking it was a sliver of one. Taking a closer look I think it could be the crown of a small mammal's tooth. I want to know what you think (It's about 7 millimeters long).

IMG_E3794.thumb.JPG.be661c21e0494b8e87cd4717ee6cc7d9.JPG

IMG_E3801.thumb.JPG.eef831ded8442d481e58b5391fd7fd82.JPG

Sus scrofa domesticus. :heartylaugh:The devil made me do it.

(Bacon)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, mikeymig said:

Probably a type of multituberculata - http://app.pan.pl/archive/published/app43/app43-581.pdf

Thanks, it looked similar to some of the teeth on the pdf you posted.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

I wonder if its not a shark tooth like Lissodus

Possibly, but I don't think so based on the overall shape and texture.  

I'm gonna need better photos.  I do not see Lissodus... too much going on.  I think I see a broken lingual edge of an upper molar of a mammal... insectivore or marsupial... not mulituberculate. 

On the second photo, it looks like the white edge we are seeing on the left is the broken edge, so that the white is the inside of the tooth.  Same photo... I think the chewing surface is towards the camera, roots on the table, anf theres alarge cusp cut in half by the break.  Is this correct?

On the first photo, I can't tell what is what.  

I do think this is a mammal tooth.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input @jpc sorry for not responding sooner. I'm not sure which is the labial or lingual side for this tooth and it's also not a complete crown (i'm guessing you knew that but I wanted to clarify). I took some better photos of it yesterday and hopefully they will help you and other members gain a better view of the fossil.

More complete side-

IMG_E3918.thumb.JPG.53f90cfd1df8016f0606a2035af99e16.JPG

View of the chewing surface+ less complete side of the tooth-

IMG_E3921.thumb.JPG.57d898fe730564c15bb7a8630786fec8.JPG

View of the incomplete side-

IMG_E3924.thumb.JPG.3437826f86027eaeba04b9d84577fe1c.JPG

Man, that is a tough one to read via photos.  I don't think I can say anything more than my previous reply.

I found this

https://books.google.com/books?id=uOsF_b9-uooC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=alphodon&source=bl&ots=2ipJQFoatw&sig=ACfU3U1yV6580D1AwCYQbvWWEGUYiOUuDw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid8JC-0JbiAhUE-6wKHXKVCdkQ6AEwDHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=alphodon&f=false

online.  It is incomplete as google books tend to be, but try to compare your tooth with upper molars illustrated in there.  That's about the best I can do without having the tooth in hand.  

• I found this Informative 2

33 minutes ago, jpc said:

Man, that is a tough one to read via photos.  I don't think I can say anything more than my previous reply.

I found this

https://books.google.com/books?id=uOsF_b9-uooC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=alphodon&source=bl&ots=2ipJQFoatw&sig=ACfU3U1yV6580D1AwCYQbvWWEGUYiOUuDw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid8JC-0JbiAhUE-6wKHXKVCdkQ6AEwDHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=alphodon&f=false

online.  It is incomplete as google books tend to be, but try to compare your tooth with upper molars illustrated in there.  That's about the best I can do without having the tooth in hand.  

Thanks, I'll check it out.