Quick walk down the beach in Wilmington

SerratedTeeth

Had a quick walk down the beach the other day and it was actually pretty successful! Not many finds but they were all pretty sizeable! The largest one was half buried underneath the Johnny Mercer pier. It looked whole, and man I wish it was! Any ID ideas for the cusped tooth corner?

30486405-0A25-461E-B5CE-0C272431C877.jpeg

4C377951-F9F8-4F5E-8170-D64F5FBF5401.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

The tooth with the cusp might be an Otodus angustidens or Otodus chubutensis (ancestors to Otodus megalodon) 

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

The tooth with the cusp might be an Otodus angustidens or Otodus chubutensis (ancestors to Otodus megalodon) 

Agreed, or maybe even Otodus auriculatus (an earlier ancestor). Depends on the age of the tooth. 

@SerratedTeeth do you know how old your fossils are?

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 4/23/2019 at 6:43 AM, Max-fossils said:

Agreed, or maybe even Otodus auriculatus (an earlier ancestor). Depends on the age of the tooth. 

@SerratedTeeth do you know how old your fossils are?

I couldn’t say accurately how old they may be only because I’ve found such a diverse set of fossils there. There’s a little bit of everything to be found, and they consistently dredge and replenish the beach so there’s honestly no telling

On 4/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, PaleoNoel said:

That’s what I was thinking but given it’s just a small corner of the tooth I wanted some outside opinion as well. Thanks!