Southern Lake Michigan Hunting

Bsigourney

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I think what you have there is a worn section of a rugose ("horn") coral. They can be fairly abundant in your state.

coralmorph.GIF

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. I'd like to see more of what your finding by the lakes. :)

Thank you! I will share, hoping to put names on my entire collection. Found this guy out collecting septarian stones in Holland.  

E1E8A1A4-436A-4C3E-84FD-1AE623D0BCC4.jpeg

I collect on the shore of Michigan, at a little park with a small stream running into the lake, south of Holland a bit. I find lots of corals there, serveral types. I am adding this, just because I collect in the area. My daugher lives in Grand Haven, and this spring when I arrive I am planning to collect at the Bass Park....(forget the exact name) but it is on the south east side of the Grand River, just outside of Grand Haven. Might be nice for you to check it out. It is an old quarry, people find trilobite pieces there. Good luck, by the way. 

In the upper right corner that is a fossil of shell fragments? Might be something else but fragments nonetheless. Upper left corner specimen -- not enough if it is visible to even begin to speculate what it may be. The rest is a very nice batch of septarian concretions, with the exception of the rugose coral of course.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!