Last Minute Fossil Hunt! Found Delphinodon!

WILDKYLE

Hey TFF Members!

Last Tuesday after work I was experiencing fossil withdrawals and needed to get my fossil fix! I didn't have a ton of time, but I took my camera to the creek and set out to find some fossils! I ended up finding some pretty incredible stuff. I documented some of what happens before getting to the creek as well. Hope you all enjoy it!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

Looks like you had a whale of a time! :P

Good to scratch that itch when you can. Enviable finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Really nice tooth there.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

11 hours ago, addicted2fossils said:

Hey TFF Members!

Last Tuesday after work I was experiencing fossil withdrawals and needed to get my fossil fix! I didn't have a ton of time, but I took my camera to the creek and set out to find some fossils! I ended up finding some pretty incredible stuff. I documented some of what happens before getting to the creek as well. Hope you all enjoy it!

Absolutely enjoyed it!I really love the contents you and Chris are producing. Lot of fun to watch and it is a pleasure for the eye to see such beauty emerging from the gravel.

I hope we would have this kind of creek here in Japan too unfortunately it is just incredibly hard rocks hidden in the forest.

already waiting for the next episode,

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

I'll bet Chris isn't so thrilled you obtained such killer fossils on your impromptu exploit and he got to go clothes shopping.  I imagine jealously abounds!

As always, loving the vids. :default_clap2:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Absolutely enjoyed it!I really love the contents you and Chris are producing. Lot of fun to watch and it is a pleasure for the eye to see such beauty emerging from the gravel.

I hope we would have this kind of creek here in Japan too unfortunately it is just incredibly hard rocks hidden in the forest.

already waiting for the next episode,

David

Thank you so much David! I am really happy to hear you enjoy the videos. We absolutely love making them, and it helps knowing they are enjoyed! :)

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

I'll bet Chris isn't so thrilled you obtained such killer fossils on your impromptu exploit and he got to go clothes shopping.  I imagine jealously abounds!

As always, loving the vids. :default_clap2:

Hahahaa he didn't seem to happy when I sent him a photo of the delphinodon tooth :heartylaugh:

2 hours ago, addicted2fossils said:

Hahahaa he didn't seem to happy when I sent him a photo of the delphinodon tooth :heartylaugh:

Serves him right for wearing new clothes. :P

You could get back on his good side by mounting this tooth as a pendant and wearing it on a necklace (outside of your shirt) on all future fossil hunts with Cris. :D

Cheers.

-Ken

Love the Delphinodon  tooth and the dolphin jaw as well as the three-toed horse tooth. 

Good to see the return of Duckman too. :) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 4 years later...

In case anyone's aware, Godfrey and Lambert (2023) treat Delphinodon and its type species D. mento as a nomen dubium and henceforth erect Brevirostrodelphis for Delphinodon dividum. Since Delphinodon is now restricted to the type species D. mento, it is unclear if the odontocete tooth shown in the video posted on this thread is from Brevirostrodelphis rather than Delphinodon.

Godfrey, S. J., and Lambert, O., 2023. Miocene Toothed Whales (Odontoceti) from Calvert Cliffs, Atlantic Coastal Plain, USA. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology 107: 49–186. doi:10.5479/si.23847438.

2 hours ago, DD1991 said:

D. mento

Paleontologists do have a sense of humor! I apologize, but I just couldn't resist. By intent, or accident? Precious, either way. :D

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, DD1991 said:

In case anyone's aware, Godfrey and Lambert (2023) treat Delphinodon and its type species D. mento as a nomen dubium and henceforth erect Brevirostrodelphis for Delphinodon dividum. Since Delphinodon is now restricted to the type species D. mento, it is unclear if the odontocete tooth shown in the video posted on this thread is from Brevirostrodelphis rather than Delphinodon.

Godfrey, S. J., and Lambert, O., 2023. Miocene Toothed Whales (Odontoceti) from Calvert Cliffs, Atlantic Coastal Plain, USA. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology 107: 49–186. doi:10.5479/si.23847438.

Fantastic info! I was just looking into this topic last night because @PaleoBri found another a beautiful little specimen yesterday that may be the same as the one in this video. I was not aware of what was mentioned above.

Now, to find that paper and read it for myself...Hmmm

EDIT: Ah, there's a whole topic with a download link to the paper HERE.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png