north sulphur river ID please

michaelzzz

A day trip to North Sulphur River in north Texas, didn't found much. However, this big chunk of bone was stare right at me. It's not a shape I recognize, so I didn't realize it was a fossil until I picked it up. Whatever this creature used to be, look like it got chewed up pretty good. Anyone have ideas what this might be? Help is much appreciated.

2.thumb.JPG.f0779462d2df7c1182147464e769074d.JPG1.thumb.JPG.edad4ff12e5d21aa04da0d6dd9c2ba40.JPG3.thumb.JPG.d56bbe36e1f1a1e75e6121f725b77f4a.JPG4.thumb.JPG.8e2807a664f988b4dc4e62cc607fd03f.JPG5.JPG.ff184663d86fbc944363c1e2c9c73345.JPG6.thumb.JPG.5f05e21f4ef9ac01f414122398f1f369.JPG

Looks like chunks of skull.........

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, michaelzzz said:

A day trip to North Sulphur River in north Texas, didn't found much. However, this big chunk of bone was stare right at me. It's not a shape I recognize, so I didn't realize it was a fossil until I picked it up. Whatever this creature used to be, look like it got chewed up pretty good. Anyone have ideas what this might be? Help is much appreciated.

5.JPG.ff184663d86fbc944363c1e2c9c73345.JPG

I assume this feature will be diagnostic for someone. Most likely option is Mosasaur

The second photo looks like teeth marks or some type of borings. I can't ID but cool looking piece.

5 hours ago, Scylla said:

I am far from an expert but I get a crocodile vibe from it 

Funny, that was my first thought as well

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thank you @-AnThOnY- @Scylla @hemipristis NSR is known for its abundant mosasaur bones, so initially I thought it was mosasaur as well. Haven't heard anyone found crocodile fossil around that area yet. However, it could be come out from different rock layer.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:42 AM, michaelzzz said:

Hi @JarrodB, I know you regularly hunt at NSR. Would you be able to help ID? Thanks.

It looks like a worn section of mosasaur skull to me. Nice find. 

• I found this Informative 1

@JarrodBSweet! Thank you for the confirmation sir. You wouldn't happen to know which section of the skull it is would you? I look through a lot pictures, having hard time to pinpoint it myself. 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, michaelzzz said:

@JarrodBSweet! Thank you for the confirmation sir. You wouldn't happen to know which section of the skull it is would you? I look through a lot pictures, having hard time to pinpoint it myself. 

Just a guess from a non-expert but I would say it's part of Dentigerous portion of tylosaurine premaxillae. Here's one that looks like it. 

mosasaur-study (1).jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, michaelzzz said:

@JarrodBI believe you are absolutely correct. Thank you so much for the reply and the image comparison. 

Glad to help.