Marble Mountain trilobite id

Peto Lithos

Many years ago I found this trilobite on Marble Mountain in California. It is roughly 1 cm across at it's narrowest and 2cm acrossat it's widest.. It is probably cambrian age without much detail preserved. I am unsure of what layer it came from exactly, as it was found loose as is. Any general ideas would be appreciated.20190422_193559.thumb.jpg.3c43abc5fc4d47e184c47d8473ab9b9c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Peto Lithos said:

Many years ago I found this trilobite on Marble Mountain in California. It is roughly 1 cm across at it's narrowest and 2cm acrossat it's widest.. It is probably cambrian age without much detail preserved. I am unsure of what layer it came from exactly, as it was found loose as is. Any general ideas would be appreciated.

Hi there, not sure you have enough to go on for an ID beyond Trilo-bits.  That being said you may find this site helpful and informative.  I've used it ever since I visited the site for the first time many many moons ago.  http://inyo.coffeecup.com/site/latham/latham.html

I will also say the majority of material I pulled out of that area was of the Genus Olenellus (which has since changed to Mesonacis (?)) .. acording to the aforementioned website.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 5

On 4/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I will also say the majority of material I pulled out of that area was of the Genus Olenellus (which has since changed to Mesonacis (?)) .. acording to the aforementioned website.

The website is referencing only one species, Olenellus is still a valid genus.  Olenellus fremonti Walcott 1910 was reclassified Mesonacis fremonti by Resser 1928.  It was later reclassified "Fremontia" by Raw 1936, and many authors have applied each of these various names over the years.  Fortunately Lieberman 1999 sorted it all out.  "Olenellus fremonti" and "Fremontia fremonti" are synonyms of Mesonacis fremonti

Lieberman, B.S. 1999

Systematic Revision of the Olenelloidea (Trilobita, Cambrian).

Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University Bulletin, 45:1-150  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Notwithstanding the useful update on the systematics of Mesonacis fremonti, I agree with Brett that there isn't anything in the photos that is enough to be diagnostic of any particular trilobite species.

Don

• I found this Informative 1