Reggie

Found this 20 years ago. have packed it around always wonder what it is ..found 20 miles due West of Ellensburg Wa ..I see the head of something looking from left to right  . opposite in picture .the head is almost the size of the rock .the white mass is center of it's mouth and eye is located just above that ..there appears to be scales of some kind on the back of it and a patch of green on the bottom. It is all coiled up  hope the pictures I have are good enough to ID it ...it is roughly the size of a good potatoe ..

1556040482595-873921913.jpg

1556040546527989906037.jpg

1556040577304220713350.jpg

Edited by Reggie
Not enough info

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I am not seeing any sort of fossil here...sorry.

Regards.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 
Looks like a quartz or quartzite pebble with some mineral inclusions, ...  to me.  :headscratch: :unsure: 

Sorry, ... but I am not seeing a fossil. 

Keep looking though. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Howdy neighbor! I'm in E'Burg as well! :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Howdy neighbor! I'm in E'Burg as well! :D

Well Dave's 64 maybe you would like to see it in person..

I wouldn't mind seeing it. Only problem is, I work nights so it can make social interactions with "day walkers" somewhat difficult. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Here's a better picture of what I'm talking about .couldn't get this picture to load the other day ..

IMG_20180805_154128.jpg

Ynot do you see the head /face ? .it is almost the whole face of rock if you look right in the middle of it just above the white spot you will see it's left eye .and yes it appears to agate or mineralized formation we have a lot of  petrified wood around here 

I do not see any fossil here. There is nothing visible to suggest any diagnostic features, such as symmetry, bone texture, or proper morphology, that would make this a face of any organism. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I believe it's a snake or reptile pictures dont show very well but if you were able to hold in your hands .it is all coiled up and on the back there is scales visable.

The pictures are fine. Sorry, but this would not be the morphology of a reptile. And the chances of scales preserving is fairly slim. 

snake.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkXwrfuBKJBAKHAeWLtdAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgB4SW5j7fOyRHYZ6RrQY

6ce6221c0e81652d36e28b5a0e59457e.jpg

You wouldn't think so Kane but they are present ..I showed this to( Doug Mayo .Wenas wooly mammoth )he was the one who pointed me towards FF for an ID 

Did Doug Mayo give a provisional ID? 

You would have to point out precisely, as per the anatomical images above, what features in this rock are identical. Where is the bone? Without diagnostic evidence, this may be a case of pareidolia... :unsure: I'm still just seeing agate with a conchoidal fracture. 

• I found this Informative 1

Mayo just agreed that there was something there ..and it needed to be looked at ..I don't see any bone but if you over  lay that bottom picture that you sent on  top of my tock I see a resemblance 

There is no fossil in this rock.

I think you will have to take it to a paleontologist to examine in hand, as we are not seeing what you are seeing. 

Forum votes for no fossil - 5  You and Doug -  2

Please take your item to a local university for a qualified paleontologist to look at.

Any further discussion of this is likely to be fruitless, as we see no fossil, but you do. 

We will have to agree to disagree until evidence to the contrary is supplied. 

Right now, there is no solid evidence of there being a fossil in there.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It will have to wait till the fall the Burke is closed until then .then I'll be back and let you know what I've found out ..thanks the help ..

1 hour ago, Reggie said:

Ynot do you see the head /face ? .it is almost the whole face of rock if you look right in the middle of it just above the white spot you will see it's left eye .and yes it appears to agate or mineralized formation we have a lot of  petrified wood around here 

Many rocks will have features that make humans see something "recognizable", when it is really just suggestive shapes or color patterns.

The rock You are asking about has quite a bit of both going on, but it does not have a fossil apparent in it.

As said by others here, the distinguishing features of a vertebrate fossil are missing.

Take a look at this thread where forum members have some fun with the not really fossils type rocks....

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm not seeing fossil here either. But that, in and of itself, may be the OP's best hope that it is something. :headscratch:Good luck.

Odds of finding fossils in igneous rock are slim-to-none. In metamorphic rock only very slightly better. Good Luck.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It looks like a weathered / tumbled silica-rich rock / mineral, to me, with no fossil(s) there, I'm afraid. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think that I see what you see, but as others have said this is a piece of quartz. Fossils like what you are thinking of would not preserve in quartz, and this piece has no bone structure.