Carnivorous mammal skull ID

PaleoSHAZZ

Could someone please help me identify this mammal skull? It has no associated geographic information.

fossil skull 1.jpg

fossil skull 2.jpg

fossil skull 3.jpg

fossil skull 4.jpg

fossil skull 5.jpg

fossil skull 6.jpg

fossil skull 7.jpg

I can't say, except to guess it may be from the White River formation (Oligocene).  Others will be along who have more experience with skulls and can offer a more confident opinion: @jpc.   However, it is a nice skull, looks like all the teeth and other parts are there.  It should be a great specimen when it is fully prepped.

Don

Yeah looks like it might be a composite. There seems to be some suspicious areas on the snout.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Removing all that added in/on brown mud would probably show just how little may actually be there & how much is genuine.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

11 hours ago, rfarrar said:

Looks to me to be a Neogene mammal from China. Probably some parts are replaced or composited.

Bob

that was my first thought on seeing the tooth preservation and matrix.  Theres a guy on online selling individual teeth from China that look similar with a similar terra cotta matrix.

Check out: Miocene Formation: Guanhe Beds Location: Near Linxia, Gansu Province, China. A certain online fossil dealer has some fine photos of skulls from here.  MODS: Can I mention or link, just for informational purposes?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I saw this skull before. Like daves64 said, I would soak in water to see what is real and what is fake (I've done this several times in the past with Chinese "fossil" skulls). Some of it is real and looks like a species of Ictitherium. Yes its from China.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Yes, it does look like it could be a mess but it also looks like you could get some decent fossil hyena teeth out of it.  Rather than soaking it, just give it a quick wash and try to identify where all the breaks are to see if it is a Frankenstein.  If there is a real skull in there somewhere, it could fall apart just as easily as a composite.