Fossilized Eggs? Found in Missouri.

gregdubu

These came from a box of rocks my grandfather had collected. Fossilized eggs?? Probably not, but what the heck are they?

fossil_003.jpg

fossil_003b.jpg

fossil_004.jpg

fossil_004b.jpg

I'd suggest (weathered) sandstone concretions with a secondary infilling. The standard mineral id tests done on the white rind and the filling would be informative. My artistic mind thinks of a piece of filled candy crunchy on the outside gooey on the inside. 

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

10 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

I'd suggest (weathered) sandstone concretions with a secondary infilling. The standard mineral id tests done on the white rind and the filling would be informative. My artistic mind thinks of a piece of filled candy crunchy on the outside gooey on the inside. 

Fossilized Cadbury Eggs? :P

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

15 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

I think this is somewhat accurate. Not a fossil imo. Here in missouri where I live, these are somewhat common. I just went out back and found one in a couple minutes and split it for example. They are still pretty little rocks.

20190424_092143-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I heard from a Paleontology Professor at UCLA and he said it does appear to be an egg of some sort, but he can't make any further identification from the photos alone. I wrote him back and suggested that if he thinks either object warrants investigating/examining them further, I could send them to him. I'll see what he says.

001_c.jpg

002_c.jpg

6 hours ago, gregdubu said:

I heard from a Paleontology Professor at UCLA and he said it does appear to be an egg of some sort, but he can't make any further identification from the photos alone. I wrote him back and suggested that if he thinks either object warrants investigating/examining them further, I could send them to him. I'll see what he says.

Not likely that they are eggs, especially the first one. Think about it logically. Look at the thickness of the "shell" (and no, that's not yolk inside). Have you ever seen a hatchling of any species break its way through an eggshell, either in person or TV or in a movie? Very weak and usually very fragile. How could it possibly break its way out of an egg with a shell that is that thick. It would be the same as you trying to beat your way through a brick wall. You could probably beat your way through some 1/4" thick pine. Now scale that down to the size of that egg. How thick would that pine board be now? How thick is the shell of a chicken egg? A robin egg? The other very good reason they are probably not eggs is that they show no evidence of pores. Look at the shell of a chicken egg with a jewelers' loupe that has at least 10-power magnification. You will see what is meant by "pores". The paleo prof will probably tell you the same thing, but hey, if you have personal access to a pro, go for it. One-on-one learning is one of the best roads to travel.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I also believe the age of the stone eliminates it from being an egg unfortunately. Missouri in the past was covered in water, and almost all fossils in the state are preserved marine organisms. The only dinosaur found is a hadrosaur (duck billed dino) near Glen Allen, and there is no collecting there as it is a very important site to science.