One More Piece of Equipment for the Prep Lab!!!

RJB

Ive been thinkin about gettin one of these for years!  I finally broke down and bought one, with extra scope lights.   Right now its sittin on the kitchen desk.  Just gots to clean up my prep bench now.   I also have to find my micro scribes.  Bought em years ago, never used them.  I wonder where they are?   Once I do fine em, I will be ready to join the Big Boys Prep Club.  Maybe they will make me presidnt of the club.  If so I will make my club goal to have happy hour!  Ha!!!   I should be a shoe in!  

RB

100_0003.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

With the Happy Hour deal, you've got my vote, Ron.   :thumbsu: :P

Congratulations on the new Microscope! Should be helpful for the Green River Fish, and your crabs and other stuff, as well. 

Good luck finding the micro-scribes!

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I do believe I have the same scope. It certainly beats straining the eyes or damaging a prized fossil while prepping.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

@RJB that scope and light looks really familiar. I've seen that setup somewhere before.

I use a small foam mat for flat slabs like GRF fish or a rolled up t-shirt to support smaller specimens. A small sandbag designed for rifle shooting support works well as they are a little under filled in order to conform to the rifle stock.

You also have my vote for president of the Big Boys Prep Club. I can see you in loafers, skinny pants, and a cardigan... oops, wrong kind of prep. :P Well, you still have my vote.

Very nice and I'm certain it will be very useful. :)

I have a microscope that can be attached to my PC on the way, but it seems to have gone missing.:(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I use a small foam mat for flat slabs like GRF fish or a rolled up t-shirt to support smaller specimens. A small sandbag designed for rifle shooting support works well as they are a little under filled in order to conform to the rifle stock.

Good info.  Thanks man.  and only 999 more votes to go for prez.   Wooooop!  Woooooooop!!!

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Now im checking out camera's.  Holy cow!  Very confusing for me.  All I want is to take a close up picture and then post it where ever I want.   any help is greatly appreciated.  @Ptychodus04

https://www.amscope.com/cameras.html

RB

What kind of cell phone do you have? I have found them to work well when shooting through the microscope lens. I don't use a dedicated USB camera.

6 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What kind of cell phone do you have? I have found them to work well when shooting through the microscope lens. I don't use a dedicated USB camera.

I have no idea?  I did buy a set of lenses that I clamp onto my cell phone, but have a really hard time trying to post those photo's here?  I did it once, then I couldn't figure it out again? 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I have no idea?  I did buy a set of lenses that I clamp onto my cell phone, but have a really hard time trying to post those photo's here?  I did it once, then I couldn't figure it out again? 

RB

Take a picture of your phone and PM it to me.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks guys.  I now think I need a sand bag.  What do you are anyone use for a small sand bag to hold your fossils in place while prepping.  @Kane @Ptychodus04

RB

I use a hilariously low-tech solution: a number of small boxes and sponges (for delicate stuff) that I use as risers. The benefit of the small cardboard box is I can stick my pin vise into it for quick access in between scribing/abrading. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer