markmg

Quick river trip

markmg

Took the family out to the river this past weekend for a quick look and found a few decent teeth and some less common finds - at least for us. Two shark vertebra and a horse tooth. It's getting crowded out there with the warm weather, time to explore some new spots. ;)

Finds2.jpg

Al Dente

Nice. The vertebra on the left is from a bony fish.

FossilsAnonymous
1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Nice. The vertebra on the left is from a bony fish.

Sorry for asking: How can you tell from looking at the top and not the sides? I generally use the sides to determine ID and such.

Al Dente
1 hour ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Sorry for asking: How can you tell from looking at the top and not the sides? I generally use the sides to determine ID and such.

I circled projections which are the remnants of bony prosesses. Sharks and rays won’t have these.

BE8F48B6-0958-461B-97B5-AAE7EDE03965.jpeg

FossilsAnonymous
13 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I circled projections which are the remnants of bony prosesses. Sharks and rays won’t have these.

BE8F48B6-0958-461B-97B5-AAE7EDE03965.jpeg

Thank you very much.

kristinrosevear
On 2019-04-24 at 1:59 PM, markmg said:

Took the family out to the river this past weekend for a quick look and found a few decent teeth and some less common finds - at least for us. Two shark vertebra and a horse tooth. It's getting crowded out there with the warm weather, time to explore some new spots. ;)

Finds2.jpg

Where did you find these? Looking to take my family out without paid excursion. 

markmg

I don't remember specifically on these, I think each came from different areas on the river. We have similar luck no matter which banks we search, normally we'll just drive the river until we see a bank with no boats already sitting there. Just be careful of the container ships, they can have a massive wake. Dealing with those ships is the only negative about the river.