Ancient Dino Skull???

waywar

This was given to me by my father in law 7 years ago which he had found around 20 years before next to a creek on their property here in Lawrence County Tennessee.  It had set in their garden for years before they decided to sell and I had asked for it along with several other oddly shaped rocks and boulders for our garden.  Recently, had a friend suggest that it could be a fossil of either a plant or some kind of reptile?  Either way I have no clue as to what it is.  The pictures were taken on our deck, the deck boards are 5-1/2" wide to draw your scale from.  It's fairly heavy and could probably use some kind of cleaning?  Thanks!

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

Very interesting. I'm a plant guy, so I'll let the fauna guys try to ID it for you. The first photo told me petrified wood. Now I'm not sure after seeing the next two.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Looks more like some type of geologic precipitated rock similar to a flow stone.

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Looks more like some type of geologic precipitated rock similar to a flow stone.

There are caves in Tennessee. Very likely. Good call.

Mark.

Definitely looks geological rather than biological.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Something that you may have fun investigating is how it got out of the cave and into the creek. Some geo-detective work might be fun.

Mark.

Yes, that is an interesting query being I’m 30 miles away from the nearest known cave.  Thanks 

6 hours ago, waywar said:

Yes, that is an interesting query being I’m 30 miles away from the nearest known cave.  Thanks 

Is it near the creek? You take it from this point and let us know what you find. Pick up some interesting stuff from the creek that looks like fossils and we'll give you a hand in its ID.

Remeber, fossil size ranges from smaller than a grain of sand to bigger than a bus. Whatever you do, smile and have fun.

Mark.